What yeast for Dusseldorf Altbier?

I am brewing a Dusseldorf Altbier this weekend and was planning on using rinsed Wyeast 1882 Thames Valley II. I realized last night that the yeast was rinsed and collected in January so the viability is very low, plus it didn’t look all that great (dark tan heading towards brownish). So I’m going to my LHBS tonight to pick up some fresh yeast… of course 1882 isn’t available anymore because it was last quarters private collection. Anywho, Wyeast suggests these yeasts:

1010 - American Wheat™
1275 - Thames Valley Ale™
2565 - Kölsch™
1007 - German Ale™

Just wondering if anyone can recommend (from experience) one of these yeasts for this style and why? Or maybe there’s another yeast you would recommend. My issue with these yeasts above is that the beer should be very clear and all of these yeasts are medium to low flocculation. That’s why I was looking forward to using 1882, it’s highly flocculative (is that a word?). Sadly, I have to go a different route. I could also pick up White Labs from another shop if someone suggests one of their strains, but I’m partial to Wyeast.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I don’t think it’d be an Alt with Thames Valley II. I recently used that yeast for a couple beers and I didn’t care for it much.
I’d definitely go with 1007.

I brewed my alt in hybrid fashion, fermenting an ale yeast at lager temps then lagering. I used the US-05 at 50*F. A huge success and fan favorite of six visiting Germans.

That was my plan… sort of. I was going to use an ale yeast and ferment around 58-60F for 2-3 weeks, then lager at 35 for a month. Just debating on a yeast.

US-05.
Worked for me.
Still attenuates really well at low temps.
But I couldn’t tell you if the others would be better…just my experience.

[quote=“Beersk”]I don’t think it’d be an Alt with Thames Valley II. I recently used that yeast for a couple beers and I didn’t care for it much.
I’d definitely go with 1007.[/quote]

+1 An english yeast seems like a strange pick for an Alt. I think 1007 would be the most common yeast for Alts, I’ve never used anything but that to be honest and have had good luck. I can see where US05 at very low temps could work well but have not tried that.

Well, I was leaning towards Thames Vally II, because regular Thames Valley is a Wyeast suggestion for that beer style and Thames Valley II seems similar and highly flocculant, which I’m looking for. But… I’m leaning towards 1007 now. If only because I prefer Wyeast. Have always had success with their yeast. Not to say Safale isn’t good… it’s just not my preference.

I’m guessing low flocculation won’t be too much of an issue if I lager for 4 weeks as planned and take precautions when racking. I don’t use gel or any fining agents because super clear beer isn’t usually a concern of mine. Plus beer clears up nicely when in the keg and cold for a few weeks. But this beer I’m hoping to be ‘brilliantly clear’ as the style guide suggests.

Thanks for the input guys! Gonna roll with 1007 and ferment at the low end 55F followed by a month at 35F. If my LHBS is out, I will take mvsawyer’s suggestion of US-05.

Wow, you got US-05 to ferment down to 50F?? That’s amazing. Was it very vigorous? How much did you pitch?
I’m fermenting 1007 at about 58F in a Helles hybrid right now. Probably could’ve taken it lower, I think I might next batch. 1007 is supposed to go down to 55F…

I use US-05 at lager temperatures all the time (think Cry Havoc)…just make sure you pitch it big and cold, then let it rise to that temp. Those 05 yeasties will go gangbusters; plus you can always warm it up if it isn’t vigorous enough.

MV - in laws are the Germans? Nice to have some real taste testers on hand!

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]I use US-05 at lager temperatures all the time (think Cry Havoc)…just make sure you pitch it big and cold, then let it rise to that temp. Those 05 yeasties will go gangbusters; plus you can always warm it up if it isn’t vigorous enough.

MV - in laws are the Germans? Nice to have some real taste testers on hand![/quote]
You got it! Even pitted my schwarzbier against a Kostritzer, a local brew where they’re from…it was a tie.

[quote=“Beersk”]Wow, you got US-05 to ferment down to 50F?? That’s amazing. Was it very vigorous? How much did you pitch?
I’m fermenting 1007 at about 58F in a Helles hybrid right now. Probably could’ve taken it lower, I think I might next batch. 1007 is supposed to go down to 55F…[/quote]
It was a typical lager fermentation, about 2 weeks. I kicked the temp up at the 2 week mark for d-rest (IDK if I needed it) for 2 days and then lagered for 2 months. Keg kicked in 2 days :slight_smile:

1007, fermented at 50-55F if you can, then lagered for a couple months afterward has made award winning alts for me.

Last year I brewed my All American Alt using all American ingredients including US-05(low 60s, then mid 30s for a month). I was quite happy with it.

Lagering takes so much patience. Just need to have a lagering fridge where I can keg the beer and forget about it. I’m starting on a string of 1007 beers now, as I’m on a German beer kick, but don’t want to wait for lagers to condition…

Lagering takes so much patience. Just need to have a lagering fridge where I can keg the beer and forget about it. I’m starting on a string of 1007 beers now, as I’m on a German beer kick, but don’t want to wait for lagers to condition…[/quote]

In my serving fridge, there’s a compressor shelf behind the 3 kegs I keep on tap. I can lay 2 kegs on their sides on top of it, behind the kegs I’m serving from. Out of sight, out of mind.

1007 is great yeast. In my experience it has taken at least two months lagering to clear to brilliant clarity, and then don’t you think about bumping the keg. You may want to look into gelatin or some other form of clarifier. :cheers:

Just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. I went with wyeast 1007. Fermenting now in my ferm-fridge set at 50F, so I guess it’s somewhere between 50-55F. I planned on lagering for 4 weeks, but may go with suggestions from this thread to let 'er sit for 8 weeks at 35F once fermentation is complete.

Very excited for this beer! Thanks again, all.
:cheers: