What Would You Make?

What would you make with the below ingredients? Admittedly I have made two ipas lately so i’m trying to go for something different, though i think the ingredients scream IPA.

12 lbs pearl malt
8 ozs chocolate malt
8 ozs Crystal 80
10ozs Midnight Wheat

6 oz amarillo
4 oz cascade
2 oz centennial
2 oz citra
2 oz galaxy
6 oz simcoe
.5 oz warrior

I know it’s not quite the season for it, but that grain bill screams porter to me.

Haha I read the ingredients thinking it was a recipe and all I could think was “holy crap thats a lot of hops for one beer!”

I agree with kcbeersnob. Season, schmeazon, it’s always the right season for a porter :slight_smile:

Black IPA!

Porter… :mrgreen:

I hear ya on the black ipa. I actually just made one that featured a lot of chinook and simcoe. I thought about making another that featured other hops but i wondered how well the other hops would play with the roastiness. A buddy and I were thinking of putting about 3-3.5 lbs of the pearl in his smoker at a very low temp and smoking them and then making a scharwzbier.

Make a smoked black IPA. Those hops would work well in a black IPA.

Which ones you thinking? I did the pine in the last one as i thought that was the best combo, but what now…

When I see Pearl malt, I think Heady Topper clone (I just made this one, and it turned out great).

You have JUST enough hops for a 5 gallon batch :mrgreen:

No seriously. I would sub in some of your hops that aren’t in Bear Flavored’s clone, I bet it would make an awesome beer.

http://www.bear-flavored.com/2013/08/br ... group.html

You will need some white wheat and the right yeast. If you don’t want to buy this or harvest it out of a Heady can, you can use Windsor.

http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeas ... ermont-ale

I was trying to follow the criteria provided when I recommended a porter. You could make a killer robust porter with those ingredients, but of course you could make another IPA instead. :wink:

How might you organize such a robust porter. I’m easily swayed, especially for porters and stouts!

Nothin’ like a creamy chewy porter on a hot summer day…

Or are you aging this until winter? :mrgreen:

I’m never opposed to aging a beer in order to achieve maximum results. My RIS was aged 8 months and didn’t kick until it was a year old…and yes it was at its best at a year old.

I just threw this together in Beersmith :
Amt Name Type %
10 lbs Pearl Grain 1 87.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (430.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %

Amt Name Type IBU
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 25.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [14.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 3.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [14.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 2.2 IBUs

I like using Wyeast 1028 in porter, so that’s what I would use. It’s on the cleanish end of the flavor spectrum for an English yeast and it’s good attenuator.

But if Porter isn’t your thing right now, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all if you went a different direction.

As a noob to making all grain batches, what ingredients are missing that you would look for when making a stout versus making a porter?

I would say make it bigger and add more roasted malts like some roasted barley. Possibly something to thicken the mouthfeel.

American Brown ale - chocolate malt and wheat malt work in it, as do hops- a lot or a little.

esb?