What type of water do you use for your AG brews? Why?

A recent thread in the General forum
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=121347&p=1061305#p1061305
has made me curious. What type of water do you use for all grain brews? Why do you use that type of water?

I recently switched to distilled. My explanation is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=121347&p=1061305#p1060715. Additionally I like the peace of mind that I really am starting at zero.

I use my well water, every country and each brewery have water qualities specific to their beer, that’s what makes them unique, what makes my brewery any different.
I want to use the water specific to my area and create my own beer unique for my region.
If I was on a municipal water supply that would be different.

My tap water is so alkaline that I even have to dilute it to make a stout. It also has a ton of sodium, so I quit using it altogether. I was using RO water from one of those dispensers at the grocery, but lost faith in the reliability of the product. I now get my RO from the local “water store”. He’s got a really impressive commercial RO unit and maintains it accordingly. He’s also a homebrewer. So I think it should be consistent.

I use my well water and adjust or dilute with distilled as necessary.

I use my local municpal tap water and although it has changed a bit over the last 25 years since I’ve been living here and brewing with it, it still makes very good beer for me. Some investigation revealed that most of our local water comes from the Delaware-Raritan Canal near New Brunswick (NJ). It is heavily treated (coming from the canal, it would certainly have to be) but simple carbon filtration of what comes from the tap results in a very palatable drinking water and I’m happy with the beer it makes. This judgement is based on the flavor of the finished brew, rather than any technical angle.

I did finally have my water tested (post filtration) last year, and here are the results, attached below. Not being a chemist (and have never played one on TV. LOL) I’m only just now starting to wrap my head around what all the numbers really mean, and if anyone would like to weigh in with an opinion or comments on the water I use, I’d certainly welcome any input. Which famous brewing city do you think my water profile comes closest to? Just curious.

Pretty decent water, Al. Not too far off from mine. For very light colored beers I have to cut with distilled about 30% and add some acid to get the pH down. For mid colored beers all I have to do is add some sulfate for the hoppy ones, maybe a bit of CaCl2 for the maltier ones. For real dark stuff I use some pickling lime to bring the pH up. But you certainly don’t have any major issues to overcome that I can see. BTW, keep in mind that the way sulfate is reported in that you need to multiply by 3 to get your true sulfate level.

I would have no problem brewing with that water. Really good base.

How often have you had your water tested? Have you find the results to be reasonably consistent?

How often have you had your water tested? Have you find the results to be reasonably consistent?[/quote]

At first every 6 months. After doing that a few times and finding no significant change, now it’s every couple years. Our well is 100 ft. deep and seems very consistent.

Tap water for me. The quality is high and the ion content is very low. This makes it very easy to adjust to any beer style.

http://www.provwater.com/depts/wq/water_char.pdf

well water, filtered, tested, treated to match color/bitterness profile in BrunWater.

Straight from the tap here and all’s well. Mine comes from Detroit City water and the only thing I ever add is Campden for the chloramine removal.

I picked TAP DILUTED WITH RO OR DISTILLED because I do use my tap water but I always dilute with distilled. My bulk RO water was a sham and it took a sample sent to Ward Labs to prove it. :x

We are blessed with excellent brewing water here in Burlington. I’m convinced Noonan set up shop here because the water is so easy to work with, only needs a little calcium. I run tap water through a carbon filter and use salts/acid to add calcium and tune in mash PH.

I use my well water, add salts and/or acid per style/color as recommended by Brunwater.

I use my tap water that is ROed in my house. My bro is in water business and got me a top notch RO unit. I also maintain it regularly so I know its great water.

I went with other, because I use delivered spring water, which makes water one of my costliest ingredients. I just received my RO unit and 20 gallon holding tank, though so soon I will be in the RO crowd. I, too, could not trust the store machines.

We have excellent water for brewing in the Boston area. Quabbin Reservoir water, which is very close to Pilsen water, so almost a blank slate. I treat with metabisulfate to remove chloramine and add the right form of calcium for the style.

My tap water is very hard so I dilute it down with distilled water 50/50 for most ales then acid to the mash get the ph right, if I did lagers I would use 100% distilled.

I’m spoiled when it comes to water. Use to use Quabbin water when I lived in the states, then moved someplace with even softer water. Never a need to remove ions, just add what I need.