Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

What to do?

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions I guess. I have had a large stainless steel water tank from a large boat for many years just sitting in my driveway.

Its rectangular and roughly 125 gal capacity. Over the years, I’ve thought about using it to gather and store rainwater for the lawn and veggie garden, holding it until I build a camp somewhere and using it for water storage, selling it, etc, etc.

Since I began homebrewing, I’ve been thinking I might be able to use it for brewing somehow, but I’m not sure what to use it for. Since I currently brew 5 gal batches…its way to big to use as a fermentation vessel.

It is flat bottomed, so I suppose it could be used as a huge mashtun or brew kettle. Anyone out there got something similar they are using or is this just too big to be of much use for homebrewing?

You got my vote on " too big to be of much use for homebrewing"

:cheers:

whats the diameter? You could do open fermentations/coolship stuff for a smaller batch if you could install a valve.

Maybe think about stepping up to 100 gallon batches?
:cheers:

[quote=“Mabus”]Maybe think about stepping up to 100 gallon batches?
:cheers: [/quote]

How big would you need to make the yeast starter for that? Not sure my stir plate is up to it

What about using it for open fermentation with wild yeast?

Probably make a nice mash tun for a distillery.

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]How big would you need to make the yeast starter for that? Not sure my stir plate is up to it[/quote]Make a 5-gal batch, use that yeast cake to make 15 gallons, then step up again to 50 gallons, and after that you’re cooking with gas.

Have you ever watched Moonshiners?

Sounds perfect for large-scale maple syruping. Where do you live? Want to sell it? PM me if you’d consider it.

Grain silo maybe?

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com