What to brew with these ingredients?

I have the malt and hops from Northern Brewer’s Kolsch kit, but I’m not set on that recipe. What other styles (ales) could I brew with these ingredients, some specialty malts, and the proper choice of yeast?

9# German Pilsner
1oz Tradition
1oz Hersbrucker

That would make a great saison. Would be a good base for a golden sour, too.

With the wheat and the extra pils you have, try a stronger cream ale fer early summer? Git a cleaner yeast to let the malt shine through, and the ABV you’d look to 6ish, good head retention….

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there any chance I could pull off something amber or darker? Maybe an Alt or Dubbel or some kind of brown ale, or would these hops and base malt be all wrong?

Sure, toss in some dark crystal malts and dark candi sugar and you have the makings of a dubbel. Not sure I’d go the alt route with mostly pilsner, though. I think that style would need something a little more bready, like Vienna or Munich.

My Alt base malts are 50% Pilsner malt, 50% Munich malt. Plus some Carared and Caramunich2. Hops are Perle or Tradition for the bittering charge and Hersbrucker for flavor and Aroma. So you could do a double batch of Altbier by taking the 9lb Pilsner that you have, add 9 lb. Munich plus some caramel malts to get the color you want. Also would have to double up on the Tradition and triple up on the Hersbrucker. And definitely use the WY1007, I think it’s essential to the style.

1 Like

Have you tried out a recipe builder like this one. There are other free to use recipe builders also.

This is the one I’ve used the most often.

1 Like

9# German Pilsner
1oz Tradition
1oz Hersbrucker

You could make a nice pseudo pilsner with the right yeast.
Wyeast pacman yeast fermented in the mid 60s makes a passable pilsner. I entered one that I did like that with pilsner DME into a competition and got a decent score (37) with no mention by any of the judges of it being ale like.

1 Like