What’s Brewin’?

Its aliiive

1 Like

Totally! Wasn’t expecting to see blowoff like that on a pitch that took so long to start :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Loitering is not fun… Daggnabitt!!! :smirk:
Sneezles61

That is one strange fermentation! Probably wouldn’t use that combo again :joy: That long lag would’ve driven me crazy…too many opportunistic bugs even with sterling technique.

1 Like

Chilling a 10 gallon batch of ale and have the grist ready for the Saison Buffoon. Going to split the ale and pitch London ESB on one and pitch US05 on the other. Going to try T-58 on the Saison even though the Boss said “Don’t change a thing!” :innocent:

Since I’m editing this post to add all the words in that sentence, I’ll update by saying all three fermenters are rocking this AM.

2 Likes

Kegging the NEIPA. That’s my Tilt floating by the suction tube.

2 Likes

Finally got off my butt and brewed the Treehouse Julius Clone , NEIPA yesterday. Lots of hops and more to go into the primary once the fermentation is a couple of days in. First time using the Spike Flex Plus fermenter. Bought it about a month ago (probably more as I can’t keep track of time ), I put like 10-12 PSI into it to test its ability to hold. Thinking I would prob brew that next week, but after all this time it still had about 5 psi in it yesterday when I dismantled to clean and sanitize. One downside may be that I need to be right on top of the chest freezer lid to get a Bluetooth signal from my Tilt. Must be a thicker Stainless steel than my brewbucket. With the additional 6 oz of hops to go into the primary, I am looking forward to doing a real cold crash with the co2 attached to hopefully get most of the debris to the bottom before trying to transfer to the keg.

2 Likes

What yeast did you use? A tried to do a julios and it came out well but couldn’t keep it from setting out after a couple weeks. But i guess thats the nature of the beast.

1 Like

This is the second batch of this I have brewed. The first one my son and I could not tell the difference between what we brewed and the actual Julius he bought at Treehouse,

The yeast is a mix of dry strains: for a 5.5 gal batch

12.8 grams SafAle S-04 (English ale)
.4 grams (yes that is a decimal point before the 4) of SafBrew WB-06 (Wheat)
.7 grams SafBrew T-58 (Specialty Ale)

Here is the recipe I followed… from one of the Brew mags: (It was from the July/August 2019 Zymurgy Magazine). The pic here is not so good I know.

I used the US-04 and like i said it was good. Actually my buddy brought his friend over who thinks himself a conisour. He brought some julious and after he had one i secretly switched him to mine. The guy never raised an eyebrow. Not that it means anything guy didn’t know what he was talking about. He told me its good beer because he had to wait an hour tho buy it. I told him next time he comes wait outside for awhile then pay me for the beer. Just telling you a funny story it wasn’t that good. I certainly could taste the difference. I’ll brew your recipe since im not sure i could find mine but I’ll look. Im going to use the London ale 3 though because i think it makes a big difference

I don’t recall if you are using a sounding valve… Perhaps another way of using CO2 and not have to hook up a tank?
I’ve got a wooden collar on my freez-mentor… so I hold my phone there to reach my Tilt gizmo…
Sneezles61

I am the worst at trying to taste differences and off flavors etc. I trusted my sons judgement more than mine. As long as something is not “knock a buzzard off a sh$twagon” bad, I am fine with it. I brewed a chocolate coffee molasses porter a while back and someone told me they tasted vanilla … I couldn’t.

1 Like

I don’t know what a sounding valve is, but this unit has an attachment on it to do pressure fermentation. What i have now is a ball lock gas connector attached to it with an open end hose into my blowoff jug. Once I get closer to the end , maybe after I drop in the 6oz of hops, I will detach this hose connection and let the final co2 generated from the fermentation build up. If I don’t have something to feed into it when I cold crash I assume it’s going to create a vacuum in there. I thought it may be better to just give it a couple of psi to keep it happy on the way to 32 deg. With all that hop mess I don’t think it would be much fun to try to do a closed transfer through the keg liquid post. The recipe author recommends not using a mesh bag in the primary and to just let the hops sit freely in there. That is how I did it the last time but also did not have the ability to transfer under pressure or cold crash with C02. I am sure I sucked in lots of o2 on that batch. But it tasted great! My wife was just a bit disappointed with the hop mess all down the driveway when I hosed out the fermenter. I will have to take it to the woods this time.

2 Likes

It auto corrected “spunding valve”.

It also could be that your Tilt’s battery has ran down. If it’s not stored flat or vertical it’s always on

It’s a new one, right out of the box but i know that does not mean anything. After this batch i will swap the battery.

1 Like

Oh thanks. Yes the Spike Flex + has a pressure valve. Gas input, and a gauge. Pretty nice setup.
Pitched my dry yeast this AM and it is bubbling away this evening. Just have to put the dry hopping in my google calendar so I don’t forget.

If this is the one that was 3-4 days late to start fermenting I too would be concerned. Hard to tell from the picture but even activity that late would likely be wild yeast. And pellicles all start somewhere. Ones I’ve had began like that.

Should be fine I suppose if it’s new. I can read mine 16ft away while in bed and through a stainless steel fermenter albeit a cheap one

I agree with that as my older one (first gen that eats batteries), i could read from a good distance when it was in the SS brew tech stainless bucket. But that steel is pretty thin.

When this batch is done i will toss the tilt in a container of water and close the chest freezer and see how strong the signal is.