What’s Brewin’?

My college roommate got in on the kickstarter project and has had one for several years. That’s where we first saw one, when he came down for a brewday and got to try it. My son immediately decided he was saving for one and I told him I’d cover half. Took him two years, but he managed to save up enough for half of a Pint. So we went right to the local dealer the week after Christmas. As we were getting ready to finalize the purchase, I asked the owner if he may happen to have any used XR’s. He had one with 300 miles that he knocked $500 off if I paid cash, so we came home with one of each. :smiling_imp: They are an absolute blast! I of course took a nosedive within an hour of getting it home and jacked the hell out of my hand and elbow. :joy:

Learned the hard way that pushing speed while going uphill is foolish.

That’s the last time I went off of it though haha. Son just tried offroading on a stupid sized hill with his buds, broke his arm, so he’s in a cast for another 4 weeks. I know, I know, ringing product endorsement eh? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I took mine to the lake this weekend and put damn near 30 miles on it. Yes, you can offroad with them, but we’ve got street tires on, so I don’t know how far I’d push trails etc. My bud has a treaded tire that handles offroad much easier.

Back on topic, I am a bit concerned about my batch I brewed before we left. I pitched yeast and left it in the swamp cooler at 2:00 Friday afternoon. I checked on it when we got home today and have ZERO activity. :grimacing: I gave it a swirl to stir it up some and see if I can get any activity. I may have to reach out to NB if there’s nothing going on tomorrow, maybe dead yeast.

:beers:
Rad

3 Likes

Or it’s done fermenting and you missed the show.
There’s a lot of 1 wheels here. Some seem faster than others

1 Like

Brewed the Weezer NEIPA today. Kegs are popping around here and I haven’t brewed since April 12th. I’m in trouble! :flushed:

2 Likes

Oh flippin’ ouch Rad-rash… I bet you’ll and yer son will be fine… after a bit… That gizmo must be like playing guitar… start out slowly… Soon, you’ll be zooming about!
Sneezles61

Yeah, so this is 72 hours post pitch and the OG hasn’t budged.

I took it out of the swamp cooler and have it on a heating pad to try to warm it up some. No Krausen ring or any evidence that I missed the party. :grimacing:

Rad

Niiiiice…nothing like a little road rash to make you feel like a kid again huh?! hahaha…sounds like a blast and you get bonus points for being a cool, fun dad!

72 hours is definitely a problem…was it dry or liquid yeast?
If you have some “standby” dry yeast now would be the time.

1 Like

Gnawing off fingers nails now… :neutral_face:
Sneezles61
EDIT: yeast do not like sunshine whilst… budding?

Talked to customer service, they are sending me a new packet of yeast, should arrive Wednesday. Guess we’ll see. If nothing has started by then, I may whip it up with my mixstir again after pitching.

Rad

1 Like

Checked on it again today and am curious if I may be growing a pellicle. :thinking:

New yeast should arrive tomorrow.

Rad

You like soured brews?
Well, I shouldn’t say that… I couldn’t tell that from pond scum… OOPS.
Sneezles61

or those are little rafts of CO2. pellicles look dry and create a sheet eventually.

That doesn’t look like a pelicle. Looks like activity

1 Like

What did you pitch and how much ? I underpitched a German ale yeast and also probably didn’t aerate enough. Took 3 days to take off but it eventually did

1 Like

Looks pretty normal. Just a super slow start to fermentation. What was the recipe? Were there any late additions of sugar into the fermenter? If so, yeast can get lazy with all that sugar available and will take a longer time to get more active.

Star Gazer recipe. I pitched one pack of Lalbrew Koln. When I checked after my lunchtime run today, it’s got a nice little foam cap going. Just never had a beer take 5 days to start before. Guess we’ll see how it turns out, should I pitch the second pack of yeast when it arrives today after work or just let it be at this point? :innocent:

Rad

Might not make a difference one way or the other but if it relieves your anxiety do it

1 Like

Let it ride… BTO. :slight_smile:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Yeast is now saying, “Foolish mortal! I’ll show you!!” :joy:

Rad

5 Likes

Hahahaha from one side of the experience to the other

1 Like