What’s Brewin’?

I have 10 gals of pils ready to keg but haven’t had a chance to brew yet and I want to use the yeast cakes. Hopefully, tomorrow…

I’m in the same boat Danny… Well, its suppose to rain for the next few days… I’m just gonna do it!! And I mean it! unless I get distracted or something like that… :rolling_eyes:
Sneezles61

1 Like

I’ve got the opposite problem. I’ve been brewing so much that I’m forced to drink to try to make room in my kegerator or lagering fridge. I know, bad problem to have! :wink:

7 Likes

I was sposed to brew today, but I tweaked my back last weekend playing with kids at inlaws plus stupid hard mattress for the weekend. Finally broke down and went to chiro Friday, but didn’t want to be lifting large quantities of liquid this weekend. Next weekend it is! I’ve got ingredients for three batches!

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

Think I’ll brew a cream ale tomorrow. Got some cluster hops for that. Also got some hops from hops direct. Some tettananger. Also got 1/2 lb of Wurtenburg hops. Never used them or heard of them.

One of these strange days. Yesterday. Everything went acourding plan. Check brew area. Both brew are busy with fermenting

Neither have I. According to This site, they are a sister of Tettnanger. Like the description of kafir lime.

KTV mashing as I write this. Drinking a couple so not sure this a great idea but a couple of kegs blew today so I need to get the pipeline rolling. Should be done by midnight! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Cot in the brewery?
Sneezles61

1 Like

I’m gonna call this a Bohemian Lager I guess. For 10 gal batch - 11 lbs pilsner, 4 lbs, vienna, 2 lbs dark munich, 1 lb acidulated malt, 3 oz carapils. Bittered with gr magnum, 2 oz hersbrucker at 10 mins.

Just a riff on the pils based lager. Similar grain bill to my Vienna if you flip the amount of pils and vienna.

New pH meter is showing lower pH than predicted by brunwater. Actually added some baking soda to the kettle because pH was 5.1 after the mash. I realized I didn’t account for the dark munich in my original recipe but that still wouldn’t bring it below about 5.3 according to brunwater.

I’m going to try and brew every week for a while to get the stock built up so I’ll exercise the meter a little more.

3 Likes

Well, i’m at it again. This time i’m trying for a mango dipa, and i’m sort of following a clone recipe. There will be some changes made due to what malt and hops i’ve got at home. I’m going to use frozen mango whilst dry hopping, but scale it up a bit from the original recipe. Do i need to pasteurize before adding it?

Yes unless you’re kegging

1 Like

Thank’s, i thought so.

Pasteurize the mango or beer? I’ve always added fruit after it’s been frozen without fear of contamination. The freezing will help kill bacteria as will the alcohol and low pH of finished beer.
In regards to pasteurizing beer- if you don’t pasteurize (both heat or chemically) your mango will ferment out. If you want strong, sweet mango you’ll need to pasteurize. If your kegging, this won’t be an issue. If bottling you are unable to pasteurize as you won’t get re-fermentation to bottle condition.

1 Like

I think i’ll just ad the frozen mango as it is and hope for the best. Didn’t get to be a dipa because of my crap setup. Think it’ll be 6,5-7 abv.

Have 2

1 Like

It’s not a crap system! You just need to figure out your efficiency and build your recipe based on that.

1 Like

Canned, pasteurized, Mango is not a good addition I’ve learned.

Another Psuedo Sue Clone, this will be the fourth time I’ve done this and really like the results so it’s now in my annual spring rotation.

90 min boil 75% efficiency 6 gallon batch due to hop absorption

6 lbs Pale 2 row
6.75 lbs Marris Otter
8 oz Flaked Barley
4 oz Honey malt

60 min mash at 154

.25 oz Warrior FWH
3 oz Citra 20 min whirlpool flameout
3 oz Citra 20 min whirlpool at 180 degrees
3 oz Citra free range dry hop 5 days into fermentation
3 oz Citra dry hop in keg for 3 days before chill and carb

WLP 0007

:beers:
Rad

There seems to be something with the mixed base malt of MO and 2-row, Pils and Vienna… Since I started using that as a 50/50 combo, I feel the brews have changed and for the better… And it could be, that was the time I started playing with controlled fermentation… I’ll embrace the malt combo… :slight_smile:
Sneezles61