What’s Brewin’?

Its been awhile since I’ve rambled through Michigan’s Independent breweries with Covid and all; what was the brew that inspired Mo Promises?

Founders Mosaic Promise. I made a Golden Promise/Mosaic SMaSH. I think I need to move some of the hops earlier in the boil.
Mashed at 150 F, Lallemond London ESB

10 lbs 12.0 oz Golden Promise (2.8 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 9.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 50.0 min Hop 3 9.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 14.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 11.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 6.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min Hop 8 1.0 IBUs

1 Like

Weezer heading for the keg!

1 Like

Looking for more bitterness? Put an oz to the boil…
Sneezles61

1 Like

The real deal has a sharper bite towards the back of the tongue initially. Overall bitterness on the finish in mine is good so that’s why I’m thinking about just shifting some of the hops to earlier in the boil. An experienced brewer friend told me when I started that the hops move from the back of the tongue to the front as you add them over the boil. Does that make sense? (probably should move this over to the recipe thread.)

1 Like

This old post encapsulated my typical approach (and says it better than I could)

2 Likes

Brewing today, a rye pale ale, with Denny’s Favorite 50 yeast. The Wyeast 1450 smackpack Showed up partially inflated and only got worse even though it was refrigerated. Basically too inflated to smack without bursting the swollen package. Since I was making a starter (SNSYS) anyway, simply went ahead and decanted the package without activating the smack pack. As it turns out it looks great this morning and smells great so didn’t really need the activator function.

Plenty of yeast.

How much rye?
Something I’d like to try… see if I can find some spicy hops too go with it…
Sneezles61

2 pounds of Briess rye malt, just under 20% of the grain bill.
Hope it’s not _grainy_😂

3 Likes

Just beef up your 60 min addition or add some FWH. I’ve never had the beer you’re cloning but I usually shoot for something more in the range of 25-30 IBU for my IPAs from the bittering charge. If you consider your 50 min kind of a bittering charge you’re still under 20.

I like Mosaic. I bet it’s a good beer.

I agree 100% regarding mid boil hops. I seldom do anything after 60 or before 10 anymore. Usually it’s all after 5 for lots of hop bursting and WP. Everyone has their own MO though…

So it was inflated but the little internal nutrient pack was still intact? Weird…

1 Like

Yep, weird. I suspect it got hot in transit. I thought it would be safe in December/January but apparently not.

2 Likes

:sunglasses:Saison Buffoon for the wife in the kettle as we speak. Just starting to boil. :blush:

2 Likes

I’ve got a WY2001 Pilsner Urquell yeast starter going. Gonna brew 10 gals (of guess what?) tomorrow…

1 Like

Some Alts? :confused:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Just mashed in “GTFOV Ale” in honor of my late Father in law who passed away about a year ago. My Bro in law was making this beer and his dad was hovering over the brew pot with a cigarette. His dad’s name started with V. :joy: RIP

3 Likes

hahaha…nope…Czech Pilsner of course.

1 Like

Just mashed in for the first time since MAY!! WT… New banjo burner for the BK/MT seemed to get to strike temp faster and it’s a WHOLE LOT quieter.

Was 1.25 pounds light on pilsen malt so i subbed in some vienna. My pils are usually 100% pilsen malt. I’m sure this will be good and may have some nuance…looking forward to it but I’ll get a sack of pilsen malt ASAP and get some pilsner in the pipeline as soon as this one is done fermenting.

I’m baaaaaack…back in the saddle agaaaaaiiinnnnn…hahaha

5 Likes

Be sure to hang some scarves off your mash tun while you jam out! :joy: Glad you’re able to get back on it!

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes