What’s Brewin’?

Go big or go home, right!

Single hop Crystal APA. Entered it in a contest a while back and it got skewered. :head_bandage: LOL When it was first on it was pretty decent so I bottled a couple off the keg for the contest. By the time it was judged it had apparently turned into a pretty lifeless brew. Making a few grain adjustments and upping the hops to see if it improves it when it’s young but also in hopes it’s good side hangs around a little longer. Fun anyway! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What mash pH are you targeting?
When I hear ‘lifeless’ I think the pH may be possibly too high. (?)I’ve been going with 5.2 of late and I like the results. Perhaps more gypsum to lower pH and enhance bitterness?

Also bottling off a keg can be tough to maintain decent carbonation.

2 Likes

I agree proper pH is essential and the gypsum as well. I was targeting sulates at around 300 for IPAs for a while. I’ve reduced that to just over 200 and like it better. Less “dry” for lack of a better term.

2 Likes

I’ve never messed with my well water before so maybe I’m at that point. In any event it was kind of a fools errand anyway. I used a particular commercial hop that I’d never used before - basically fresh off the bine and no idea of the Alpha%. My grain bill was one that I’ve used quite successfully with wild hops but these were something different. I think it was underhopped from the start so time was a worse enemy than normal with this beer. Bottling off the keg left them a little flat too.

2 Likes

Still sucks no brewing. On the good note. Did place. A order. So next year full swing. Brewing. The 5 my cast. Will be removed

2 Likes

I haven’t brewed in months and just haven’t been motivated for some reason. I’m planning to brew New Years Day to get back in the groove.

Cleaning up a bunch of kegs that have sat for a while since they kicked. Then I’ll clean my tap lines before I have something ready to drink.

3 Likes

I’m hoping Saturday to brew a Vienna version… I’ll get my yeast started tomorrow… 34/70 re-pitch…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Speaking of kegs, I’m with you @dannyboy58. I have 20 gallons in fermenters and 7 kegs that need to be cleaned. Oops!

1 Like

Pretty much the same here, beer in the pipeline and all the kegs need cleaned…tough to find time with the holidays.

1 Like

Me did actually. Brew quit lots during this whole covid thing. Me sitting home. For. 10 months now. Have to admit. I am getting. Bored of being home. My boss told me yesterday. He came over for few brews. We will be closed untill march.

1 Like

At this point you guys might as well wait until you can accommodate divers who’ve been vaccinated! The owners must have pretty deep pockets to be able to pay you this whole time!

Think this is gonna be the new world order. No vaccine. You are not allowed to travel to other countrys. So they sort of force you to get the vaccine. To have a normal life again. Yeah till so far lucky. That the company still pays us. But no tips. And extra i come at the moment. So your base salary. Is what i get. Over the last 11 months. They did lay of. A total of 60 people. At different. Work departments

Well I’m going to brew my last batch for 2020 today it’s another version of my Isolation Pale Ale (IPA) I’ll retire this recipe or at least the name soon hopefully. Happy New Year to you all

2 Likes

I’ve been reading Palmers book, chapter about pH and have gotten so wrapped up in little things I can’t see… I will put down the book and brew… Ive got a few days left this year… Vienna is my next brew!
Happy news years!
Sneezles61

2020 is a lost cause for me. Was planning to brew today but it’s not happening. I’ll make a starter new years eve and get 2021 off on the right foot with a New Years Day morning brew session.

1 Like

I’d wait til at least a minute after Midnight… you may want some distance… :smirk:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Doing our NEIPA, Weezer. Will have to go snowblow about 6” of wet snow later. :smirk:

2 Likes

Looks like you’ve moved in and are comfortable!
Sneezles61

Yep! Next Spring I’ll plumb in my permanent water and propane. So handy having a dedicated space and not having to drag stuff out (other than my water hoses). Keeping the pipeline full. :sunglasses:

EDIT: Just lost power. Glad I brew with propane. A little dark but I have some lanterns if I need 'em. No pump but I guess I can use snow to cool it. Going to have to lauter and transfer the “old fashioned” way. :wink:

EDIT 2: Patrolled the lines on my country block and found there was a non-injury car accident over on the main road. We got 6" of sloppy wet snow over night and it’s kind of thawing and slushy on the roads. County hasn’t plowed yet. The accident took out a guy wire on a pole and made the power lines flop around and touch each other. Must’ve popped a fuse on our line somewhere. Power company just got there so I should have lights before too long.

1 Like