What’s Brewin’?

I love early morning brewing. This morning making a Sour Double IPA with Tart Cherry and Raspberries. Sour mashed with White Koji 25% in my grain bill and has dropped my Ph to 3.5 in just under a hour.

How long did you let the Koji work total? I didn’t think that koji in itself would do any souring.

One hour.White koji contains citric, lactic, and succinic acids.Its a very clean acidity that it creates .

1 Like

I lent my bourbon barrel to a friend who bourboned it and ran 2 batches of zinfandel through it. He was going to give it back but I told him to keep running wine through it until I brew a something i want to run through. Maybe a porter. Anyone got something?

I rack from buckets to the liquid post without pressure. Just attach a line to the keg post, open the lid enough to slip the siphon in and get it going. Still minimizes the exposure to air since I’ve never designed a fitting for my buckets.

Saison is wonderful choice with a wine barrel

I brewed a Rye Porter years ago and aged it on wood chips with Bullit Rye Whiskey. It was really good. Still have a few bottles around somewhere i think…

One of my last extract batches.

The Night - Rad Rye Porter

1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1 9.9 % 0.08 gal
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.0 % 0.04 gal
2 lbs Amber Dry Extract [Boil] (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 3 19.8 % 0.16 gal
6 lbs 9.6 oz Rye Malt [Boil] (3.7 SRM) Extract 4 65.3 % 0.57 gal
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 45.5 IBUs -
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 12.1 IBUs -
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 5.8 IBUs -
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 Yeast 8 - -
2.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days)

Speaking of CO2, my two CO2 tanks have been idle but presumably sealed well, the CO2 in them should last indefinitely ? Or not?

As long as they hold pressure the gas should be fine. It doesn’t “expire” or go bad and nothing can grow in that hostile environment in the cylinder.

2 Likes

So this is how the White Koji works. Most Sours are produced using a bacteria that produces lactic acid. White Koji is just is one of several species of the filamentous fungus genus Aspergillus. White Koji (Aspergillus kawachii) is used for the purpose of converting the starch in grains into sugars fermentable by yeast. In the conversion process involving white koji, ample amounts of citric acid are produced which lowers pH and yields a delicately sour citrusy flavor.

4 Likes

I use koji to make sake so I am familiar. I have not noticed a sour during the process with rice however. Intriguing. I know that Citric acid is commercially made with Aspergillus Niger.
It seems that in to high a concentration citric acid acts as an inhibitor to yeast growth.

Lets start a another thread and will dive deeper into this. Brewing with Koji Brewing with Koji

No brewing this weekend. Got to pick up monday. The hop order. It did arrive. Friday. So sat. Brew day

Me today. A. Galaxy. Single hop. Pale ale. One of the recipy. Out of the brewdog. Catalogue. Monday. A. Double ipa. Both recipy. 5.5 batch. Boil 7 gal batch

1 Like

Did you get any Polaris Hop? I am really loving its mint quality. It’s like nothing else.

No yet. Should be this week on the island

Any one in here use an electric element INSIDE the kettle AND try calcium chloride? I’ve got another scorched 10 gallons… :rage: Did I mention I’m really mad? :rage:… I believe when I did a Ryebock over a year ago I used it and had a scorched batch…
Maybe will try pass CO through to try scrub the scorched flavor out… IDK… :flushed:. Well, hopefully this will help another Brewer from doing what I did…
Sneezles61

Make a thread devoted to this topic. It will get lost in this :thread:

2 Likes

Kegging the Saison Buffoon from 6/11 and going to brew it again this AM to put on the yeast cake from the one I’m kegging.

Brewing an ESB with the Amber malt I roasted up and the crystal malt I made.

3 Likes