What’s Brewin’?

I’ll post pics when we get there. I think it may be a little dark. My LHBS was out of MO so I subbed Swaen Ale malt. I also added a little Melanoidin on a whim (never a good idea for me! LOL) and put in .25 EKG at flameout. I was brewing outside while it was snowing to boot!

Brewing IPA here this morning. Still tweaking that recipe a bit each time. Anyone notice lowered mash efficiency when you add wheat to the grist?

edit: preboil gravity came in almost .020 low. Very weird for me…got a new brew bag…no way that’s it…I caught another half gal or so of wort after I got my preboil volume. I’ll boil harder and add that back in, see where it gets me. Very weird…

I am using acidulated malt now as opposed to lactic acid to correct mash pH…hmmm

Me first brew of the year. Today. Got to create. Recipy. Got 11 lbs pilsener 2 lbs 2 row. And bag of crystalmalt. Some flaked oats left. See what hops i got left. Its about time my new. Grains. And hops. Arrives soon. Running out of. Supply

Prepping for a batch of Bohemian Pilsner with some Barke Pils malt I recently got.

So I entered this beer in the Brew with a Legend comp from Iron Hill Brewery and Restaurant, my first ever, and it made the championship round next weekend. I’m super excited! More than anything, I wanted to hear what other folks say about my brews and see an actual score sheet. Don’t have the score sheets yet but I know I’m in the finals. Apparently 350 entries and top 5 go to the Ship.

8 Likes

Congrats @brewmanchu!

Yes, congratulations!! I’ll be interested to hear how you did!
Sneezles61

Fantastic! Good to get some independent feedback,especially so positive. Good affirmation you’re doing things right.

Great news. Good luck.

That’s awesome! What beer?

Style: New England IPA
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.5 gal
OG: 1.077
FG: 1.019
Bitterness (IBU): 42.3
Color (SRM): 6.3
ABV: 7.6%

Grain/Sugars:

6.00 lb Golden Promise Malt, 38.7%
6.00 lb Two-row (US), 38.7%
3.00 lb Flaked Oats, 19.4%
0.50 lb White Wheat, 3.2%

Hops:

1.00 oz Warrior (AA 14.3%, Pellet) 60 min, 42.3 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo (AA 7.9%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
2.00 oz Azacca (AA 13.8%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
2.00 oz El Dorado (AA 16.0%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo (AA 7.9%, Pellet) dry hop
2.00 oz Azacca (AA 13.8%, Pellet) dry hop
2.00 oz Bru 1 (AA 15.7%, Pellet) dry hop
2.00 oz El Dorado (AA 16.0%, Pellet) dry hop

1st dry hop 2 days into active fermentation
2nd dry hop at kegging
Wyeast 1318

2 Likes

Mmmmmmm…NNNNNEEEEEIIIPPPPAAA…

Looks seriously delicious!

Been perusing “Radical Brewing” by Randy Mosher. Lot’s of beers with fllavors I’ve never thought of using or had the desire to use. I ran across a Saison recipe with Grains of Paradise and Coriander added at the end of the boil and I think I’m going to give it a spin. Also going to get some grain for my DIPA. Big brew day this week!

2 Likes

Isn’t that what’s in San Adams Summer Ale with wheat and citrus peel

No idea. This also has orange and grapefruit zest added with the spices so maybe? In any case it’s a departure from my normal MO and seemed kind of fun.

Heating the strike for the DIPA as I write this.

1 Like

Sam summer is a good beer with a lobster roll. I’ve tried to make a version of it. I use ale yeast which is what Sam Summer uses. Using saison yeast will make it more like a witbeir. Alot of Summer ales I’ve had are what I call American wits. Grains of Paradise are expensive if I remember have you sourced them yet?

I Amazoned both spices. The book alludes that the normal grocery varieties are not “authentic” so I looked for Indian grocery sources.I can’t remember the costs although they were a little more than the more familiar sources. I plan to use Belle Saison yeast this time as that’s what’s called for and save the ale yeast for future exbeerimentation.

All that clanging and banging going on in the early AM, my wife would deal the final blow… With the cast iron skillet!!
Sneezles61

1 Like

Yea I think Sam’s Summer Ale is a takeoff on Blue Moon which has coriander and orange peel. Brewed a “clone” of that a month or so ago but forgot to buy oranges so it’s just a witbier. Kegged it last week and will try it soon.

If the Saison recipe comes out like Blue Moon I’ll not do it again. Not a fan. :worried:

2 Likes