What’s Brewin’?

How much wheat do you use in the WIPA? Sounds like a future beer to brew…[quote=“sneezles61, post:983, topic:25224, full:true”]

Another brew W/E thwarted… This is getting really old… Sneezles61
[/quote]

I hear you, I may not be able to brew for some time in the midst of this move. Luckily I brewed a bunch of lager late Summer which stays relatively stable kegged. Missing my DIPA though…

1 Like

Belgian Pale Ale.
Simple recipe
1 pound Caramunich
9 pounds Begian Pilsen
1 oz Celenia 2.9 AA (Formerly Styrian Golding) 60min
1 oz Celenia 15 min
Omega Yeast Belgian A

5lb 2-row 5lb white wheat 1lb flaked wheat. Lots of hopa

Wife suggested a tasting party for my birthday. Starter in the jug Friday for a brown. I’ll get some grain for our IPA and Saison to brew maybe this afternoon.

1 Like

Tell me more about your saison

Well happy birthday Coming up Mr Noob!!! Sneezles61

It’s from @damian_winter from when I was working cherries a couple of summers ago. I generally use Llamond Belle Saison yeast since that’s the only one the LHBS guy had at the time. The cherry beer came out fantastic the two times I made it and my wife and her friends have fallen in love with the plain version. I play with the fermentation temps to bring out the banana or clove notes for fun and to mess with the women folk. :wink: @Grantmesteven also has a good one that I bet he’ll share with you.

2 Likes

Saison recipe

Size 5.5 gallons
OG 1.080_1.084
IBU’s 20-24
Grain
12lb pilsner
4lb Munich
8 oz caramunich
1.5 oz Saaz 60 min
.5 oz Saaz 20 min
.5 oz Saaz 1 minutes
I really like wyeast 3711 but also use 3724

1 Like

Batch 100 - Big Mo. Single hopped Mosaic DIPA. Gravity before the boil and adding a pound of DME was 1.095. Think it’s going to be a little boozy. I’m boiling batch # 101 right now. About a 5% IPA with 6 different varieties of hops.

2 Likes

:confetti_ball::confetti_ball::tada::tada:

Nice. Yea I’d probably make it half way through my second pint of Big Mo and fall asleep on the Noob bar!

Congrats on the milestone!

1 Like

Yes! Bravo BigNoob!! Sneezles61

1 Like

Raspberry Cheesecake beer tomorrow. Haven’t had much time to brew at home lately, so I’m really looking forward to it.

Apparently I’m only half a noob. I did batch #50 last weekend. An Irish Red using 1/2 the yeast cake from the prior brew. Just let is come to room temperature and pitched. I’m very curious to see what difference that will make compared to using a fresh smack-pack with a starter.

Congrats on batch # 100 @WMNoob! :beers:

3 Likes

Thanks!

Main difference for me is it’s less work and also cheaper than the smackpack and starter. If you aerate your wort well you’ll usually see shorter lag in fermentation because you have a lot more yeast.

2 Likes

Brewing up a wee heavy today in honor of veterans day. It should be my biggest beer yet, shooting for 1.095!

You may need to put in 1/3 of you yeast starter… Keep building up the remaining 2/3… Then about a week in, take a sample and hit it with another shot of active yeast… My that’s going to be a big brew! Sneezles61

I did a 2 stage starter in accordance with brewer’s friend calculator. Think that will be enough?

A big brew like that very well could exhaust/deter your yeast if it’s not high alcohol tolerant. I suggest to be prepared to add some vibrant, fresh yeast… A stuck ferment is a bummer… Sneezles61

10-4, thanks!

1 Like