What’s Brewin’?

6.2 pH? hmmm…it’s your beer haha…I’m sure I drank a few mashed at higher pH before I started treating my water.

I apologize… I meant ABV… Sneezles61

carry on then…apology not accepted . :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

3 Likes

Didn’t brew… Put the yeast back in the fridge Saturday morning… Too much to git done before winter sets in… I’m ready tho…
This coming W/E… My slate is clean… Sneezles61

2 Likes

The first keg of my Marzen/Ofest was fantastic. My cousin had an Oktoberfest party and I took a couple gallons. It was a big hit. So the first keg kicked pretty quickly after that. I put the second keg on and…ugh…WT…

It’s tart, sour, odd off flavor, cloudy and doesn’t hold carb well. Bummer. The second 5 gallons stayed in the fermenter about a month longer than the first but this doesn’t taste like oxidation and the color is fine…maybe the bucket wasn’t well sanitized… Now I’m annoyed…no more marzen…

Brewed another wild hop blonde and a rye. Really weird how dark the rye came out, almost red. I know rye tends to give some red but this was way past that. I used a different LHBS and the grain looked right but maybe something was labeled wrong?

Say that word autolysis… Crap, I can’t even spell it…
Noob, did you boil it a bit stronger? I think I’m coming to the conclusion that the mallard reaction with rye is at a lower temp… Scorched a bit so it darkened… My theory and I’m sticking to it… :roll_eyes: Sneezles61

1 Like

I don’t believe it could be autolysis. One month extra in a 5g batch with an expert brewer? Sounds like a Brett exposure except the cloudy color.

1 Like

That’s funny I had a tartness to mine as well. What yeast did you use?

1 Like

yea it’s not autolysis.

wy2206 Bavarian Lager. Four month old slurry from a schwarzbier I brewed in Dec 18. 2L starter split to 2 5 gal batches of Marzen. I doubt it’s the yeast since one keg was really good.

I’m looking at fermenter or keg sanitation as culprit. Seemed fine when I racked it to the keg.

1 Like

I don’t think Mailliard because it mashed darker. Wort tasted good BTW. It was weird but it’ll be beer. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Interesting I used Bavarian lager slurry also

1 Like

I’ve used it many many times thru many generations with no issue.

Same here. Coincidence I guess

I guess…I looked back in my notes regarding this yeast. It was only 3rd gen. I had purchased a new pack and made a starter for my schwarzbier in December, then used it for pilsner in early February and split the cake for the Marzen.

I’ll be dumping all my yeast and start with fresh this brew season

Just went through my recent lager notes to see if I used that yeast again. I did not use it after that. If I recall it’s one of the yeasts that was involved in my freezing incident so I bought a new pack for my September Pilsner which I’m drinking “young” right now. Man it’s good.

Well I’ll have time to brew next week. I have grains portioned out for a WIPA I was going to sour but maybe just do it straight up. Also grain portioned out my Game Day Alt which I may do as a lager. I have a pound of Huel Melon hops I wanted to get into

Another brew W/E thwarted… This is getting really old… Sneezles61