What’s Brewin’?

Enjoying a nearly perfect fall day…rained this morning For soccer games but cleared up beautifully. Drinking a Great Lakes Nosferatu while brewing up a Black IPA.

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

And a follow up to show off my little helper for chilling. :heart_eyes:

Rad

7 Likes

Just picked up 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider and some imperial A40 bubbles cider yeast. How long do you guys let your ciders sit before bottling/legging? Not planning on adding any sugar to this batch

When it’s done fermenting I’ll cold crash it and let it clear. Then it goes to keg and in gas.

Sweet thanks! It’s a medium floc yeast so the cold crash might help. Was thinking of bottling this round since all my kegs are tied up and I like to give some away for the holidays. The yeast strain advertises 85 to 100 percent attenuation. Hoping it’s still somewhat sweet without the need to back sweeten. This is only my second cider attempt and the first batch was ed worts apfelwein which was really dry and high alcohol.

You can cold crash it just above 1.000 and it’ll have some sweetness to it… Or, let go until it’s done… Then it’ll be dry… And that’s how I like… carb it up so it pours like champagne… Sneezles61

1 Like

Me did down load. On my desk top. The way i treat water. A guy works at the lab of water plant. Helps me adjusting the water. He changes the water profile for me. I pick up 3 bucket of 5 gall water at his lab end of work day. So next day i can brew. Me having hard time under standing. Chemicals. The more i read the more i get confused. So. Exchange for beer. He adjust the water profile. Actually me now on my way out to pick up ice and the water buckets.

1 Like

That is such a great friend to have.

1 Like

Water is complicated… But not impossible to grasp… Perhaps having good well water I don’t need to be overly concerned… My main objective is for mash pH… Sneezles61

1 Like

Yeh the PH. Every time I have measured mine it has been close enough for me. Mostly dont do it because I ran out of solution powder to calibrate my ph meter and I never want to adjust the solution to the correct temp on brew day when I’m calibrating it. I will start to do this…eventually. I’m blessed with soft water in the pacific northwest though so it works for most lagers and all the breweries I have talked to just add some gypsum for the hoppy varieties. I do want to do a side by side of the same exact beer though. One using distilled adding minerals, and the other straight tap.

My water guy says. After reading. The beer water book. No need for adjusting water so muçh. Its ro water. But happy to help me. Did speak to him last night. He is willing to come over. And show me how simpel pffff it is to adjust. Water. Yeah i said. Your a chemical nerd. Who plays with. Online gaming. He was laughing. I did pay atention. Òn school. You where. Off to concerts. Bars. Chasing girls. And did drop chemistry. Because you went to the civil engineer. School

2 Likes

Smashing pumpkin brewday with my brewing partner. :innocent:

Rad

6 Likes

I’m brewing pilsner today. My brew partner has passed out…

3 Likes

Double brew day for me. First Orange Chocolate Porter and number 2 Cherry wood smoked Dunkel

1 Like

My daughter sent me a picture of this cereal today. I think you should make a stout with it. Put chocolate around the rim of the glass you serve it in. haha

1 Like

Not a bad idea. Lol How about

1 Like

I haven’t tried any of these pastry stouts yet. Not that fond of milk stouts so I figure I am not really going to go the next step.

Probably some good ones out there though.

I’ve tried one or two… Wasn’t my cup… But that’s just my taste buds… I like the idea that you can use stuff from the store to brew a beer… Didn’t I read a guy made Ovaltine brews somewhere? Sneezles61

Brewing this W/E… I’ve got citra hops showing up tomorrow… I received a huge sack of home grown centennial hops… I’ve got 001 and NW ale yeasts… 50/50 Pils and Marris Otter… One pound C-40… 10 gallon batch to toy with… This time, I’ll pay attention to my mash so I don’t have such a disastrous out come… I think 6.2 is good enough. Sneezles61

2 Likes

Planning a Belgian Golden Strong tomorrow.