What’s Brewin’?

After toasting some rice flakes. This is the most dramatic part of the toast. Most of it is slightly golden. 2 lbs took 15 minutes at 400F agitation every 5 minutes on a cookie sheet

1 Like

Me did yesterday the last pilsner. For the regatra event. Now me brewing tomorow a ipa for regata. Than all done with brewing. For regatta. Haha can start brewing for my self again. 5 till 15 sep me off. Gonna keg the beers.

Finally brewed a DIPA yesterday, work and life have been getting in the way, it was only the 4th brew this year, when I usually get at least one per month.

2 Likes

Ouch Mr. J!!! I’ve got a few in as its been somewhat busy here too… I haven’t done an IPA yet this year!!! I’ll bet my hops are disappointed in me… Sitting in the freezer doing nothing. Sneezles61

2 Likes

I’ve been doing quite a few IPA brews trying to use up my hops. Kind of fun using different hops that I generally don’t use in IPA. My Polish IPA with all Lublin was really good. Got some stuff measured out to brew this week. My Gameday Alt and a Mandarin IPA. Today going to keg the sour cherry. Watching my hefe closely for the krausen to drop so I can get it on the blood orange puree.

1 Like

Today is Saison day using S8 Rice Saison as an inspiration but utilizing the hops I have on hand.

8 lbs Belgian Pilsen
1 lb Caramel 20L
2 lb Lightly Toasted Rice Flakes (bringing out the nutty side of the rice)

.3 oz Cashmere Leaf FWH (clearing space in the fridge)
.25 oz Dr. Rudi 15 min
.30 oz Cashmere Leaf 15 min
1 oz Wakatu and 1 oz Dr. Rudi for 20 min Hops stand at 170F

Yeast will be Saisonstein’s Monster from Omega

40 min in the boil and the house smells like cookies… interesting

Oops overshot my OG. Was too efficient. Aiming for 1.061 and ended at 1.065

Rice crispy treats?

2 Likes

I looked at the Transmitter site. Yeah I’m thinking about a saison soon…to be bottled. Where did you come up with toasting the rice flakes? I know rice in beer can be pretty tasteless, mainly to dry a beer out.

The Transmitter Rice Saison has a very distinctive nutty rice taste along with a perfect Saison profile. Skimming through reviews there was one mention of toasted rice somewhere and I thought I’d try it. I don’t know if they actually do that in the real thing. Roasting my own malt is another area I’d like to play with especially the wet side versions where I imagine wetting with things other than water as experiments.

The rice flakes definitely had that sort of smell rotting minus the butter but with a hint of the marshmallow. Could have been my imagination.

I think the yeast here is going to chew up all my dextrine and I might have to add a touch of lactose the next time I try this.

Getting ready to sanatize the kettle and mash tun. Messure out the grains. Around 7 this morning mill the grain heat up the mash water. Today a pale ale. Brew session

1 Like

Why?

2 Likes

Me kind of anal sanatize clean everything

Sanitizing a brew kettle is more than anal. 212° will kill more stuff than sanitizing. :grinning:

5 Likes

I made a really rookie mistake yesterday. Juggling the wife, 9 month old, dinner and kegging two beers; got both beers into the keezer. Checked on them after getting home from work today and the co2 was empty. While I was throwing all the equipment together yesterday I didnt tighten a fitting to the gas in post on one of the kegs. What a drain. The irony is that I sprayed all the fittings with star san to check for leaks but only on the regulator and kegs themselves. Live and learn.

You’ll have that. Good news it wasn’t a liquid out post.

Yeh seriously. I havent kegged anything this year so rushing around and remembering how awesome kegging is, I totally spaced it. All is well though and I’ll exchange my tank tomorrow. Brewing a 10 gallon batch of saison this weekend and cant wait

Brewing a white IPA today. Going with a cold water sparge. Mandarin hops for finishing. The only thing I’m wondering is since it’s a first wort hop beer and with the cold sparge will add some time to get it to boil I may wait until the wort gets back up to 170 before adding them. I don’t know maybe it doesn’t matter