What’s Brewin’?

Me after 3 weeks not off from work. One day of today. Gonna brew. A ipa. Galaxy and citra hops

1 Like

Brewed a w00t stout today! Delayed at the start a bit by rain. The only real problem was my decision to take a gallon from the first runnings and increase the sparge to compensate. But it was very windy and the flame on my gas grill kept blowing out! Didn’t reduce much and I missed my OG by 7 points (1.099 vs 1.106). I still expect it to be awesome!

Edit: Forgot to say that I pulled a gallon from the first runnings so I could boil it separately and reduce down to one quart. I got this idea from a Wee Heavy recipe a couple years back.

2 Likes

pecans?

Sorry to reply so late to this @wilcolandzaat I have a 50lb portable ice maker. The problem with those table top units like that is it will make 50lbs in 24 hours but you would have to stay awake all night to keep emptying it. The bin doesn’t hold much so when I think of it I empty it into a plastic bag and put the ice in the freezer. That quickly fills the freezer.

Not trying to talk you out of one. It is really handy to keep ice on hand. Much cheaper that buying bags to fill the fish box on our boat and we don’t have to go get it.

Me did look at these ice maker. Nice price. But the review what people post not so good. Indeed the complain about. The ice basket. To small. So for now stay with ice bags. Need about 4 to cool 10 gal wort.

I also found the cubes last much longer if I put them in the freezer. Right from the machine they don’t seem frozen as solid.

I did include the pecans. I even included the 3 oz mash addition. But that was mainly because I had no other use for 3 oz of crushed pecans.

1 Like

Ran out of kegged beer this weekend with company here. Bad news. Had to dump a lager about a gallon I guess it got infected. I knew it was coming because I could taste it coming. Got into some bottles but had an oxidation problem with some of those as well. Bleached the lines and some kegs and I’ll just do a thorough cleaning as I use stuff. Not that worried. The garden I planted got watered with beer so not a total loss

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that Brew Cat… But, you can’t have a beer go bad if you don’t brew… right? When I have the band mates over for an evening of picking songs apart, then reconstructing them… They will kick a full 5-er… They offer to buy grain or the such… I tell them they can’t… Some of them are really into the cider too… Its like drinking champagne… Sneezles61

4 Likes

Lublin IPA

Started 15 gallons of a Sour Rye at 4:30 this morning and got it in a Bordeaux barrel along with 4 pitches of wyeast 3763 Roeselare ale blend planning on aging for at least 18 months

2 Likes

A beer garden. How appropriate.

2 Likes

My SMaSH. Golden Promise and Cashmere leaf hops. Voss

Whoops wrong thread

4 Likes

haha…looks good!

1 Like

Just finished a 5 gallon batch of NEIPA. 9# 2 row, 3# MO, 3# Flaked Oats, 3# Flaked Wheat, Warrior to bitter and Citra/Medusa in Whirlpool. Pitched WLP 066 London Fog Ale Yeast. First time using this yeast because my LHBS doesn’t carry Wyeast and didn’t have 095 in stock. Very curious about these Medusa hops to say the least!

2 Likes

Love that London Fog. Good to see you! Seems like you haven’t been around.

I lurk here and there but haven’t had the time to chime in. I took a new position at work that’s keeping me busy. Yesterday was my first brew of 2019 :cry:

1 Like

Let me make a guess… first chair oboe. Woodwinds are tricky. Glad to have you back…

LMAO. I’m actually a drummer but 1st chair was always my jam! That gig was so much better than the Supervisor position I took a few months ago.

1 Like

Supervising… Another way of saying… herding kittens?
I got 13 months left of work… One last supervising job and I want to be a hat rack … coast into brewing more beer!! Sneezles61

4 Likes