What’s Brewin’?

Me few days of. Going to brew today a witbier. Me waiting for the chinees supermarkets to open got to buy 4 bags of ice to chill the wort.

Glycol chilling device should be in your future… Sneezles61

Yes try to tell my wife i need one. Firts new brew system. Want to go electric. Gas sometimes issue over here. Think about. Induction plates boil goes super fast. Been watching a cook at work. Boiling 10 gal watet. 10 min at boil temp. Me should get tax money back soon. Than glysol. Now i use ice bath. Suck cold watet up with pool pump. Run this true. The. Coil. Hot water comes back in bucket. Toss this away. Takes about 4 ice backs. To cool the wort. To 80 fh. Simpel system seems to work.

1 Like

Yeah, I hear you about the ice, our fridge ice maker works overtime in the days before brewday. I have this big sign I hang on the front of the fridge, “make ice before brewing”.
My wife loves that sign.\s

1 Like

Not so bad the price for ice here 2 dollar for a 5 lbs bag of ice. Me did look at amazon for a small ice maker. 25 lbs. Takes 24 hours. Price not bad about 150 dollar. But read review some people not happy

Brewed my Vienna Lager, “goodnight Vienna” today. Nice brewday and excited to have two lagers in the pipeline now for the summer.

I plan to do another Vienna with a different grainbill next, lighter and with maize. I like the effect corn has on a beer, even though adjuncts are still frowned on by some…

Just curious how much flaked maize/ corn you guys are using for Mexican lagers?? Ken Lenard’s Hacienda Lager uses @11% flaked maize.

1 Like

Started out brewing 12 gallons of White IPA today at home. Mashed in and was getting ready hops out of the fridge and saw I had German Lager X WLP835 3 packs that were getting close to expiring in the next 3 months. So i thought why not a White lager and a White IPA. Hallertau and Saaz for the lager and Citra, Galaxy and Mosaic, Vic secret and Amarillo in the White IPA.

3 Likes

Its great when you don’t have to stay in-between the lines when brewing at home! Sneezles61

1 Like

Brewed up a Brut IPA and a Cream Ale. What’s going into your fermenter this weekend?

I’m trying to come up with a Brett primary, Voss secondary experiment. It will have some Golden naked oats in there, some maltodextrin, still dabbling…

My fermenters are waiting for the next brew day… I will try 50/50 wheat and MO… Peaches will show up in a couple of weeks… Maybe this big W/E? Brew Saturday, smoke a brisket Sunday, then I have Monday… Honor our Veterans whom paid the ultimate price… Sneezles61

2 Likes

No brewing for 2 weeks. Way to busy at work. Plan next Saturday. But went for search of propane bottle. Did find 2 new ones. Lucky most the time they are out.

Making a tart of darkness clone today but I’m using imperial sour batch kids mix instead of wyeast roselare.

I don’t know…people are making milk shake beers and kool aid beers. I see no reason to frown if someone wants to add corn to theirs. It’s definitely to style for a mexican lager.

I used it in a pre pro pilsner and a mexican vienna lager recently. I used 1 lb of maize for a 5 gal batch.

3 Likes

You’ll never know if its any good unless you try… right? Sneezles61

3 Likes

Knocked out the 1st part of a gose this morning. Pitched the good belly and let it sour until tomorrow morning then finish the boil. This will get racked on to some plum puree that @damian_winter hooked me up with. I’ve had a plum gose before I enjoyed. I have a mixed bag of berries in the freezer from last year’s crop but I think I’ll have the wife bake me a pie with them. Fresh berries soon

1 Like

Sounds awesome!! I been thinking about brewing a Gose this weekend. I got some goose berries in the freezer. I also got madrone berries might just split 12 gallons and use them both

I’m hoping to to get a good crop of gooseberry this year. The currants look good. Made a nice currant gose last year. I like making gose basically makes for 2 small brewing days . It’s the only beer I leave it in the kettle to ferment.

2 Likes

I’m holding off on finishing the gose. Going to let it sour a bit more. I may have had it to warm. I haven’t replaced my pH meter yet so going by taste. I’ll boil it tonight

1 Like

Well it’s evening now and only slightly sour. Need to get this done tonight because we have company. So I’ll brew it and pitch my lacto/Bret/sach mix see where it goes

1 Like