What’s Brewin’?

Thanks! Forgot about the fruit wanting to float and didn’t fully consider the volume it takes up. I’m a little suprised by the amount of activity in there as well. I don’t remember it being that way with the other batches.

My beers fermented with fruit usually show a lot of activity. Quick, but active.

Just finished mashing in a Belgian Wit.

1 Like

FYI - blowoff in a few in a few minutes ago. Just a little pink in the airlock. :wink:

Fruit Bazooka is happily bubbling away at 78 degrees in my basement. I get a wonderful nose full of hops when I open the basement door, it’s great! Tossed in the first round of dry hops today as the instructions said to add them once the foam has fully formed day two or three of fermentation. Never added dry hops this early before and the pellets just sat on top of the foam and hop matter at the top of the carboy (my CFC didn’t particularly care for 4 oz of hops and left too much in kettle for my tastes so I just dumped all the contents into the carboy, should have gone with the IC/Whirlpool pump setup, oh well), so I sanitized my stirring spoon and poked them down under. It’s nice not having to worry about temperature control, although I may have to heat it up at some point depending on how actively it keeps working. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Going to brew an IPL now that my Keezer is in place with total control over temp.

Any recommended Grain Bills and what is best Yeast for IPL?

Watching YouTube videos:

• American IPLs use same grain bill as IPAs but just different yeast with a few modifications in process
  • Ferment between 45 and 55 degrees (I will target 50)
  • Use twice as much yeast as temp is colder and yeast works slower (Do I put the yeast starter in the Keezer?)
    how long (12 -15 hours or double that?)
  • Primary fermentation for 1 or 2 weeks? (at 50deg)
  • “Forgot what this was called” (bring temp up to 55-60 for a few days to absorb yeast by product, butter taste)
  • Condition for 4-6 weeks at just above freezing
  • Lagers with Cold Conditioning make much cleaner brews

Note: I do not have taps on my keezer, it is just a small deep freezer under temp control.
I now use it for fermenting lagers, 2nd conditioning of wort and applying CO2 to kegs before going to the 3 tap beer frig.

I’ve been using a 50/50 of 2 row and marris otter… Then for some nice color start by using 5 oz of crystal 120 per 5 gallons…
Start your yeast 3 days ahead, at room temp… You should step it up a couple of times… This is for liquid.
My temps were started at 54*, when the brew slowed way down, I just turned off the controller and let it sit, lid shut for a few days… Then open the lid… You should be close to about 7-10 days… Its time to sample, check gravity…
Once it was stable… perhaps its day 14, then time to rack into the keg… Cold crash, Time for clarifying agent, should you choose… 32* for as long as you can weight… I was carbing at this time too… There are others with variations that work well too… This is my MO and seems to produce some fine brews! Good luck… Enjoy the lagering style! Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation.

I have had great success with an All Vienna Malt Ale (plus a bit of crystal 20) with Chinook and Centennial hops. One of my best IPAs thus far. I am not trying for a EU Lager, rather a Hoppy American variant IPL.
I have read to use same grain bill and just change the yeast and fermentation/conditioning process.
This includes yeast quantity as we are fermenting at colder temps (need to double).

There is a Craft Brewery in Ann Arbor MI (passing through) that only makes IPLs. When I first saw that I was discouraged as my tastes have migrated away from Lager in favor of hoppy IPAs. Their beer was awesome.
Now with the introduction of IPLs, this is new territory to explore. I need to make what I like to drink.

On my last Vienna IPA,
I tested 2nd conditioning (dry hopping) at 50 deg.
The beer so so clear that I concluded filtering was no longer necessary.

Cold conditioning works wonders.

Now the Lager yeast?

The standard old work horse, 34/70… Its a dry yeast… so you won’t need to worry during the warm months with shipping wet yeast… There are getting to be more and more of others that perhaps some of the other brewers will name too! Sneezles61

1 Like

I make them occasionally. I’ll use the same recipe as an IPA. I’ll pitch a healthy amount of yeast and give it a good 3 weeks at 50 then a few days warmer. Then a couple days cold crash. I wouldn’t be opposed to 50/50 two-row/pilsner and lighten it up

What about the need to have the yeast clean up by products after primary?
I have read that you need to raise the temp after primary fermentation a few degrees prior to Cold Conditioning (above freezing).

Also,
Would you not also want you run your yeast starter at 50 deg?

Starters are about building up cell count…room temp is good.

3 Likes

Brewing a Peach Farmhouse ale today just a simple grain bill
6 lb floor malted pilsner
4 lb white wheat
8 oz honey malt
8 oz flaked barley
Hoped with Mandarin Bavaria and Grungiest
3lb peaches primery 3 lb secondary

2 Likes

I’m here in CO again visiting. There is a coffee roast shop down the road that also sells beer. They have a Crooked Stave palisade peach on tap. If I get some time off I’ll sneak away for a taste. Also I heard one of the breweries in town has a Brut IPA on tap another style I need to taste. I’ll try to report back.

4 Likes

I m enjoying a Crooked Stave Petite Sour Peach. Haven’t had a Crooked Stave I’ve not liked. The other sours I’ve had so far while here El Goose by Avery,Cucumber Crush/10 Barrel, Sour Rose’/Crooked Stave and Bug Zapper/Avery.

1 Like

Man yer bumming me out… The Brut? Sneezles61

Didn’t get to that one yet. But did have a Crooked Stave Zest. Which is a hazy IPA with citrus zest. It’s a bottle conditioned NEIPA and very well done

1 Like

Avery was my absolute favorite brewery from my last CO trip.

Rad

1 Like

Of the 2 Avery brews I’ve had the El Gose was good. The Bug Zapper I didn’t like because it had mint in it. I think the lime and ginger would work nice but the mint turned me off. Which ones did you like ?

Kegged the plain and tart cherry Saisons on Saturday and gassed 'em. Tasted them yesterday. Although not quite fizzy enough yet, my wife loves the plain (mission accomplished!) and the cherry is pretty tasty as well. More clove/less banana this time than last which I guess is from the lower fermentation temp. Used a few more cherries this time and left them in for an extra day. Great reddish color and almost a sweet creamy cherry flavor. Right now I think it’s a little much for my taste but I’m guessing it’ll fade some with time. Kegged and gassed the Michigan Copper and Knot Today IPA’s on Monday. Very interested to see how the MC beer comes out since it’s my third variation on that recipe.

I got a flight of four plus a couple others while I was there with my sister a few years back and she was taking me around to a bunch of local breweries while I was in town. Looking back through my untappd feed I rated Mayan Goddess the highest which is their Russian Imperial stout. I just remember all their beers were good and the atmosphere of the place was awesome. I believe they were building a new brewery and bigger taproom since I was there in '15.

Rad