What’s Brewin’?

Dang, stay safe! Sisu.

Good that you’re okay. Be careful.

Yes, good news you and your family are safe… The loss of big trees like that really bum me out… I hope you have enough apple trees so that one won’t be too detrimental to your harvest… Sneezles61

Glad you’re safe cat! Crazy Ma Nature and her little tantrums remind us how we’re at her mercy. Good luck!

Glad you’re safe. Hopefully a speedy return to normalcy.

Double darn it. I’m brewing Friday and Sunday no matter what.

2 Likes

All my brew buckets are full of rainwater. Some friends showed up with chainsaws and we cut all day. Got the generator keeping the kegs cold gotta do it the boys work for beer. Heading to camp memorial day weekend hopefully all the food will be ate by then or I’ll need to have someone run my generator for me. It’s good to have friends

2 Likes

Good to hear you are still looking forward… So… What are you going to cook up at camp? Brisket over some coals… Kept cool with some brew… ? hhhmmm? Sneezles61

I’m thinking about bringing some stuff up to brew a batch . Camp runs on solar/generator. I’ll ferment onatural. In the cellar. Then when I go back in a few weeks sugar carb in a keg. Then in a couple more weeks serve with a mini paint ball co2 shooter thing. Should be ready for fourth of July. As far as the food in the freezer we’ll just eat it. Steak and chicken. I have alot of frozen peaches so I’ll make a peach Mead with them.

2 Likes

How are you going to chill the wort? Stick the kettle in a creek?

my brother does this

I have a well ,the pump runs off the generator. Water comes out at 45 deg. I have a 55 gallon barrel with a DC pump hooked up to the toilet RV style so I’ll collect the water in it from the chiller. Never tested the water but it tastes real good definitely not treated. I have an on demand HW heater for the mash.

1 Like

I was up last week and the basement temp was 45 so I think I’ll use Lager yeast

Today is brew day. NBs’ Petite Saison with WY 3711. Pitched half liter vitality starter this morning. Should pitch the yeast into the fermentor about 2 or 3 this afternoon.
Have to bake bread first. What I have left will probably be eaten tomorrow by guests. Party weekend will probably mean no brewing on Sunday.

That’s a big starter for a saison. I pitched my last as little as possible because I understood that helped with the ester production. But I don’t really have any consistency.

I found a good healthy pitch of this yeast and fermenting warm brings out the pepper and spice. I pitch in the low to mid 60° range. Let the fermentation temperature free rise to 73°.

Pitched the WY 3711 at high krausen 2:00 PM Friday at 66°. Active fermentation when next checked at 9:00 PM. Saturday morning at 6:00 AM 3" krausen. 8:30 AM needed blow off tube. Also raised the water bath temperature to 70°. This morning removed the blow off tube and raised the water bath temperature to 71°. At an ambient temperature of 66° the fermentation is needing a little help on the temperature.

Air lock smells very good.

To keep the weight of the blow off tube from pulling the stopper I ran the tube through the carboy handle.

1 Like

Just finished up an ipa with azacca, galaxy and idaho7…fwh with magnum…pitched very active OYL-200 starter at 75…gonna dry hop with galaxy, Nelson, and simcoe to clean out the freezer a little bit.

Idaho7 is very curious to me. I’ve used in the past and I think it’s distinctive, not sure if that’s good though. I need to try it by itself.

I like it with other hops…i did a wheat with just it…and it was difficult to determine what it tasted like…which makes no sense…just a general tropicality.