What’s Brewin’?

So with this small 1 gal batch, I should invest in a thermometer that can go in liquid? Also, since this is a Double IPA, should I let it ferment longer than usual, say 4-5 weeks? And how long in the for carbonation? I do have instructions, but reading through this forum, I have noticed that the instructions aren’t set in stone. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Thanks brother. I added that link to my home page. I’ll take a look through it.

Can’t wait to brew this Double IPA up. Hopefully I dont ruin my 1st batch :joy:

What is the estimated original gravity for the recipe?

The fermentation should take no longer than a moderate gravity ale with good aeration of the cooled wort in the fermentor and pitching the right amount of yeast. I usually dry hop around day 14 from the start of the fermentation. By day 21 the hop pellets have dropped and the beer has cleared. Timing will depend on specific gravity to determine when the fermentation is complete and dry hopping can proceed.

I use this calculator to determine how much yeast to pitch.

Alternatively one 11 gram pack of rehydrated dry yeast is good for five gallons of ale up to an OG of 1.060. One-half of an 11 gram pack should be more than enough for your 1 gallon batch even if it is well over 1.060.

The stick on thermometer strips are good for tracking the temperature of the fermenting beer. You will need some kind of temperature control if the area you are fermenting in is room temperature. A water bath can absorb some of the heat produced by the yeast as the wort ferments. A wet towel around the fermentor can add additional cooling by evaporation. A fan blowing on the wet towel can accelerate the cooling effect of the swamp cooler.

Don’t submerge thermometer strips if using a water bath.

I hope others will add to this. I’ve only done moderate gravity IPAs.

Half way through the mash time for NB’s Midnight Porter. Started this mash at 155°F. About ready to give it a stir then see what it finishes at. Dropped the pH of the sparge water to 5.4 this time. Hoping to dry out this porter a little more than the previous brews.

edit: May not dry this one out too much. Temp has only dropped to 154°F after 30 minutes.

1 Like

Making my Abbey Ale tomorrow haven’t made it in awhile. Need something to put in my oak barrel in a couple weeks. Today I’m going to try and make a sourdough bread with a sourdough starter I made using my Belgian yeast slurry

1 Like

OG is 1.070. It’s the starter kit, and unfortunately it didn’t come with a hydrometer.

The recipe doesn’t call for dry hopping. But I enjoy a very hoppy beer. Do you think I could purchase some hops from my local brewery (they have a general store) and use them, or just leave the recipe be this 1st time around?

I brewed this recipe yesterday without any issues, until siphoning to the carboy came. This so called magic rack siphon is a joke lol. I’ll have to come up with something the next time around. Something that actually works.

But none-the-less, the beer is fermenting. We will see how it goes from here.

A double IPA and no dry hop seems unusual. Can you post a link to the recipe. It is much easier to just pour from the boil kettle into the fermentor. Doesn’t take much to clog a siphon. I only use a siphon to rack to the bottling bucket.

You can pour through a large funnel with a built in strainer to remove some of the hop debris. It will eventually clog though. A second person will be needed to help unclog it. Letting the boil kettle sit undisturbed after cooling will allow most of the heavy debris sink to the bottom.

I pour through a separate bucket with spigot holding a fine mesh bag to collect hop debris. Pouring all the hop debris and break material into the fermentor will have no negative effect on the finished beer. I only strain out the debris to have cleaner yeast to harvest.

1 Like

Have the mash going and the sourdough kneeding. Going back and forth watching temps and clocks. Oh what fun . The brewing is a nice distraction from watching dough rise. House smells awesome

3 Likes

I’m only baking bread today. Will brew a Witbier tomorrow. Will try out SafAle t-58 this time. Yesterdays porter was too much of a strain on my shoulder to handle the boil kettle again today. Looking forward to the surgery to repair the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. This old man is going to have to take it a little easier from now on.

Porter fermenting strong at 64°F with US-05.

Flars, I can see a pump in your future… Carts with wheels… Maybe a young apprentice? :grimacing: Brew Cat, you must really be head over heels with the sour side… I do enjoy a sourdough toast in the AM with my coffee! Sneezles61

Next weekend will be brewing a arrogant bastard clone.

I do enjoy them. I make a few and I think their good and then I’ll get one at a brewery and damn I’m humbled. Just went to Kent Falls Brewery and they had a couple collaborations they did with some Russian brewery, outstanding. I didn’t know they had a beer scene in Russia

We did a club brew today 58 gallons of Scottish Wee Heavy that going to age in Elijah Craig bourbon barrel.

2 Likes

Grandson stirring the mash on my 2nd small batch NEIPA. He hit his temp right on and was telling me what to do next!

6 Likes

Just mashed in on a barreled souls cookie monster clone.

1 Like

Michigan Copper exbeerimental brew Number 1, a single hopped ale to get the flavor and aroma of hop. A grower gave me 4# of Michigan Copper and though it looked like a scene from Miami Vice, the kitchen smelled amazing yesterday breaking these up into manageable volumes and seal packing them. Talked to one of the brewers at a local brewery yesterday and think I know where I’m going with the next go round with these hops.

No brewing untill maybe end of month. No grains waiting. For. Grains to arive. On the island. The boat left miami last friday.

Gee Whiz Wilco… Did they use a turtle to pull the boat? :joy: Sneezles61

Leaving next week for CO for three weeks to meet my newest grandchild. Going to brew 10gal ow my brew cat pale. Will be ready to keg when I get back

1 Like

Funny, I was just kicking around brewing a pale ale next…I did a “Endless Summer” APA a couple of years ago with all Citra late additiions, based roughly on Odd Sides Citra APA from Michigan. But I might start from scratch…@brew_cat what are your basics?