What’s Brewin’?

Brewing Big Mo our Mosaic DIPA tomorrow. Dry hopped our session Knot Today tonight. Sipping the DNERIPA tonight apparently like its my job. LOL

2 Likes

I made a Vienna Lager yesterday. I’m attempting to make what I drank when I lived there in the early 90s. Looking online it’s amazing how inconsistent everyone’s recipes are out there.

2 Likes

I have a Vienna lager lagering right now. Getting impatient to try, but on a couple of antibiotics for the next week before I can have alcohol.

I think it’s a pretty lose style open to alot of interpretation

Without looking too deep, isn’t there a recipe from way back when that would expose the grain bill? Now a days, all things brewing wise has been so… interpreted… that Its probably sooo far away from the original… even though, they are similar… And I haven’t had a brew yet today… Sneezles61

There does seem to be a pretty broad interpretation of what makes a good vienna lager. The link below has a discussion of the style and a recipe many of us have brewed and riffed on over the years. I have it on tap right now from a brew day almost two years ago and it’s really good. Much cleaner and a bit more dry than say Sam Adams’ VL.

Exactly Sam Adams VL with no Vienna malt. Very loose interpretation. I’d at least have a sack of Vienna in the Brewery

2 Likes

No vienna? haha…never seen their recipe but doesn’t really surprise me. Devils Backbone in Virginia made a really good Vienna Lager a few years ago but the last few times I’ve had one it reminded me of SA’s. Flabby and sweet in my opinion. I’ve honestly not found a commercial VL that I like as much as my own( @mattnaik’s ) recipe.

Ken Lenard had an interesting VL recipe too. Just Vienna and Pilsen malts. Been thinking of giving this one a try for this summer as well.

1 Like

Ken’s Website always amazes me!! Talented guy. I stole his method of making a red hued Oktoberfest.
Too bad he doesn’t post here anymore

Yea I miss Ken and Greg Muller both. Learned a lot from them both when I first joined the forum.

1 Like

I ended up deciding on
3lbs of Vienna malt
3lbs of Munich
3lb of Maris Otter floor malt
1lb of Caramunich
.25 of Chocolate 200 (for color)
.5 oz Saaz 60min
.5 oz Hallertauer 60 min
.5 oz Saaz 20min
.5 oz Hallertauer 20 min
1 oz Styrian Goldings @160 for 20 min
2 packs of Saflager W-34/70

I agree @ken_lenard and @mullerbrau were great contributors. Maybe they’ll make it back.

1 Like

Hi kids! :grinning:

6 Likes

Oh snap

Have you been lurking the whole time?

No. I actually got an email because my screen name was used in the forum. I have not been on here in a long time but I’m brewing like I’m getting paid for it… which I’m not. :smirk:

2 Likes

That’s why attached your name. Was hoping you’d get an email notification… it worked! :yum:

2 Likes

Here was my latest recipe about to be bottled:

4.5 lbs. Pilsner malt
4.0 lbs. Vienna malt
1.50 lbs. dark Munich malt
1.50 lbs. Weyermann Caraamber® malt (26 °L)
UK Kent Goldings hops (60 min.) (0.5 oz. at 6.1% alpha acids)
Magnum hops (60 min) (0.25 oz at 10.8 alpha acids)
Czech Saaz hops (20 min.) (0.75 oz. at 3.4% alpha acids)
2L starter of Imperial Yeast L17 (Harvest) lager yeast

Projected figures per software calculations:
OG = 1.057 FG = 1.015
IBU = 23.2 SRM = 8.8 ABV = 5.53%

This is supposed to be a clone of Devils Backbone.

1 Like

A blast from the past! Sneezles61