What’s Brewin’?

Brewed 6 gallons of Saison and pitched harvested yeast from Smreka. No thats not a typo. Smreka is fermented juniper berries that really simple to make and has a nice sour tart lemonade kind of taste that mainly a summer time drink but with a little added sugar can get around 3% abv. Now to get enough yeast from it to pitch took me all summer.

1 Like

Brewed 5gal of Double NEIPA recipe today. Brewing a bock tomorrow.

Next week? Maybe an ESB?

1 Like

Care to share the DNEIPA recipe? Been noodling with my NEIPA grainbill turning it up looking towards a Double.

I can’t get into specifics. But I can tell you some.
Malts:
Two Row, Optic, Flaked Wheat, Flaked Oats, Wheat Malt
Hops:
Amarillo, Citra, Columbus, Cascade, Mosaic, Simcoe

2 Likes

Understand friend!:sunglasses: Thanks!

Got the Brut recipe from our hosts and firing up the starter for a DNERIPA. (More letters is better right?) Both for Monday. Using London Fog yeast from White Labs for the latter. Supposed to be close to the East Coast Ale yeast I normally use.

DENERIPA recipe:
16.5# 2 row
1# each of flaked oats and flaked rye
.75# each of white wheat and CC60
.25# carapils
1# rice hulls
Hops- FW 1 Summit & .5 Galena
5 min. 1 each Amarillo/Simcoe/Mosaic
FO 2 each Amarillo/Simcoe/Mosaic
DH 7 days 1 each Amarillo/Simcoe/Mosaic

IINEIPA gives you one more letter and is how I’ve seen it written before

1 Like

What is the IBU ABV on that? If I were making it and I’m not only because of my gut. I might flip the FO and DH. And do a WP instead of FO

1 Like

It may just be a regional thing. When I’m in VT its a VTIPA or a IIVTIPA. Out west I’ve seen it called a Hazy IPA. Or IIHAZYIPA now that s alot of letters so it must be good.

1 Like

75-ish IBU and 8.9% ABV per Beersmith. The FO addition is going to steep for 10 or so.

I know we had a discussion going about WP temperature and aroma. I Used to do FO like you mentioned but know do it as a WP a 180-170 for 10 or so. Now I think stopping the cooling for even longer in NEIPA is not really a problem because I don’t think you care about the protiens dropping out anyway. On a clear beer I like to get to cold break quickly

1 Like

Man you know it’s gettin’ serious when “I could tell you my beer recipe but then I’d have to kill ya…”

1 Like

I was of the same mindset @brew_cat regarding the fast coldbreak but I’ve been doing a 170ish WP with all my IPAs for a while now and haven’t noticed any change in clarity of finished beers.

You can’t blame a guy for protecting the commercial goodies! R&D baby, it’s all good!

It is for my short time at the brewery. Did learn. Got to brew. What the quest like. Not what i want. Even at my house. Brew beers. What other people have a taste for

2 Likes

Contractual intellectual property stuff.

@wilcolandzaat you are correct. In the commercial world it isn’t about you…

1 Like

Yes I know…it was joke…

1 Like

Many many breweries give out there recipes it’s a sign of flattery. Also it’s free advertising. A friend buys some 2hearted and says. “I respect your opinion about beer and if your trying to brew it it must be a good beer I’ll buy some”

2 Likes

Although true often they are not the total recipe or 100% accurate. They usually only list the malts and hops, which I did.

Yes and also it’s hard to scale down a recipe so adjustments need to be made. Sam Adams has always given their recipe hasn’t hurt their sales. Heck Bells gives their recipe and encourages people to harvest their yeast from their bottles. Just don’t use their name in your advertisement which apparently is what NB did. Common courtesy really

1 Like