What’s Brewin’?

Tom, I do my split batches the other way … I take the BIG brew first… It took me a bit to figure out how calculate ABV before I brew… Its all good! Sneezles61

1 Like

51K clone only a few more tweaks and subbing in MIchigan Copper for Palisades. Just mashed in and we’re getting a thunderstorm with pea sized hail. About time Spring showed, at least for a little bit. Supposed to get snow tomorrow.

Pitched the 51 Cu on an ipa yeastcake. At full krausen in under 4 hours. Wow! Edit:Had to put a blowoff in.

2 Likes

Even at 7% ABV (roughly 1.070) a whole yeast cake is an over pitch. Luckily an over pitch isn’t even near as bad as an under pitch.

Pfff tell me. More a seaslug. Takes forever. From our host to miami 10 days. Than 10 days on boat to bonaire. 5 days at shipping agent. Customs clears it pay 500 dollar shipping custums fee

Thought this might be a great thread for discussion so: Overpitching Discussion

The Witbier is at 6 days. The Porter is at 8 days. Most likely the fermentation is complete but I’ll wait to check SG on both until the Witbeir is at day 10. SG is easier to read when there’s not too much CO2 in the sample.

Keeping both water baths at 68°F. Using the one controller for this. Added a toggle switch so both sides of the outlet will heat. Cooling relay is disconnected. Forgot to buy the toggle switch for turning the cooling relay off and on.

1 Like

Found this recipe on the Whitelabs site looks like a nice session beer for the up coming months. So thought would brew it

2 Likes

Looks good. How do you plan your brewing water when a city profile is given?

My plans is match Randy Mosher water profile for pale ale
Ca: 110

SO4: 350

Mg: 18

Na: 17

Cl: 50

1 Like

Looks good. Similar to the Barley Philips Irish red I just brewed, except for the Australian hops and yeast.

I am also thinking of brewing a few batches that can age well while waiting to be tapped. Thought I would never use the second tap on my kegerator and now wishing I got the 3 tap …

1 Like

This is one of those dumb things that can happen.

Forgetting to buy the second toggle switch to turn the cooling relay off and on was dumb number one. Forgetting I reconnected the cooling relay was dumb number two. The next afternoon both of these beers were at 75°F.

Fermentations were done so hopefully no damage. Might affect my priming sugar weight calculation being at 75° for nearly a day.

1 Like

Yep, we’ve all got something. :slight_smile:

I’ll be willing to say, no problems Flars… In fact, maybe a bit lower FG, and when you carb, it will take a bit longer… and a bit more clear… Tell us how it does turn out… Sneezles61

Son is coming over and we’re doing a Saison and a 10 gallon batch of ESB. Looks to be a nice brew day!

1 Like

I’m taking one more trial at an ESB… I’ve got a grain bill to try I think will nail what I interpret as an ESB… Then, time to hone up the summer ale… That weenie wanker I brewed just isn’t what I want… Perhaps, I shall dive into the world of saisons…something with some grand character… I haven’t tried brewing one yet… Sneezles61

Try brewing a saison, I love Wyeast 3724. You don’t have to bake it at 110* :flushed: If you do an “open” fermentation, foil instead of an airlock…easy to brew, and I don’t tie up fermigerator space, average to warm room temp is fine with its own exothermic heat. Mine finishes @ 1.001 in about 2.5 weeks.

1 Like

Brew day tomorrow. Golden Promise, Flaked Oats and WY1318. I’ll figure hops out while the strike water is heating. Never used 1318 but I hear it plays well in the NEIPA style.

Yep, I’ve used Wyeast 1318 four times so far with neipa. Works well. I’m going to have to do another Neipa soon…kegging with low oxygen exposure made a big difference in finished product. Alas with my setup I’ll never be able to get much lower in o2 exposure.

1 Like

Czech pils today…first ever.

1 Like