What kinds of oats are these? (and a few other questions)

I’m going to brew my first oatmeal stout today (partial mash) and want to make sure I got the right type of oats. I bought two kinds:

John Palmer wrote
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-2.html
about various kinds - whole, steel-cut/grits, rolled, and flaked. Which categories do the ones I bought belong to? Should I boil them first?

As for mashing (with base malts of course), the most common recommendation that I see are for 60 minutes in 152-154 Fahrenheit (66-68 Celsius). Is this indeed the best practice? Should I steep the other grains for the final 30 minutes, or for the entire hour?

Thanks in advance!

Top = Golden naked oats
Bottom = Flaked oats

Use the bottom flaked oats. And mash the grains and the oats for 60mins. With an oatmeal stout I would mash higher, probably 156F

Thanks for replying.

I did as you suggested and mashed the flaked oats at around 152-156 F. I’m really curious to see how this beer turns out…

If you really want to make it interesting, toast them in the oven at 300°F for 30 minutes or until they start to turn golden. Spread them on a cookie sheet in a fairly think layer and stir them up maybe half way through. First time I did this, I was skeptical that it would make a difference given the roasted malts in the grainbill, but I’m now a believer.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Top = Golden naked oats
Bottom = Flaked oats

Use the bottom flaked oats. And mash the grains and the oats for 60mins. With an oatmeal stout I would mash higher, probably 156F[/quote]

Top is definitely not Golden Naked oats, which are a crystal oat malt and aren’t flattened. Top looks more like rolled oats.