What is the effect of losing heat during a mash?

I did a 75 minute BIAB mash on an IPA-bordering-on-IIPA last weekend, and because I was doing a bunch of other stuff doing my mash, I didn’t have time to monitor. I think I went from about 153 to 150 during 75-80 minutes. Can anyone tell me specifically what change (if any) would be perceivable between this beer and one where temp was held firm at 153?

I know some enzymes are more active at lower temps (alpha amylase?), and can produce shorter chain sugars, thus a drier beer. Because I was hitting different ranges, wouldn’t I get the benefits of both a dextrinous wort and a fermentable wort?

Yes, in a step mash schedule using 146* for 45 mins and 156* for 45 mins you would get the benefits of both alpha and beta.

However, I doubt you would ever be able to tell the difference between a 75 min mash that only dropped 3*.

rdwhahb

[quote=“Pietro”]I did a 75 minute BIAB mash on an IPA-bordering-on-IIPA last weekend, and because I was doing a bunch of other stuff doing my mash, I didn’t have time to monitor. I think I went from about 153 to 150 during 75-80 minutes. Can anyone tell me specifically what change (if any) would be perceivable between this beer and one where temp was held firm at 153?

I know some enzymes are more active at lower temps (alpha amylase?), and can produce shorter chain sugars, thus a drier beer. Because I was hitting different ranges, wouldn’t I get the benefits of both a dextrinous wort and a fermentable wort?[/quote]

153 and 150 are too close together to see much difference. Most of the work done by the mash happens in the first 15-20 minutes and probably would have been done before you lost very much heat.

It might make it very slightly more fermentable, but I doubt you could really tell the difference.

three degrees isn’t too bad. In my kettle when I do BIAB I’ll loose a lot more than that so I always hit it with some heat.

Fermentability drops about 2% for every degree about 152. So it takes quite a bit to really change the final gravity.

For exact details check here:

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... ation.html

Well I also do the ghetto brewhouse by insulating with a ski jacket!