Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

What I want 2.0

I have many projects that I thought about doing… I did my research on all of them, made my notes and created list’s of materials including price.

Of course I have not started a single one yet, I have to now decide in what order I start.

This is what I have and the order I think I should maybe complete them:

1. Two chamber dorm fridge powered kegerator/ fermentation chamber.

2. Counter flow wort chiller.

2.5 Rubbermaid Mash Tun

[color=#800000]2.75 Home made yeast stir plate.
[/color]
3. Two tier brew stand, for all grain batch sparge setup.

1. Wooden bottle crates. Four of them.

2. Powered bottle scrubber/washer.

3. Pneumatic bottle capper.

These are items I want to make.

Items that I will need to purchase around my projects:

1. S.S. 15 or 20 Gallon boil kettle

2. Welding oxygen tank aeration kit.

3. Conical fermenter (don’t know what size yet, or material made of)

[color=#800000]4. 5Gal Keg system
[/color]

Wish list:

Dedicated brew hut/shed, heated cooled. Don’t have space in the home so I’m a carpenter and I could build a shed just for brewing and storing/serving beer. I could run gas and electric to it and do a garden hose to it.

OR I could just sell my home and get a bigger house so I could have everything inside. Again this is a wish list so may as well dream big!!

What are your thoughts, does this seem like a good list and in a good order? I want to eventually make better beer and more of it.

I would probably make the mash tun at least 10gallon, and I would also drop the pneumatic bottle capper and get a kegs instead. :cheers:

The mash tun will be a rectangular Rubbermaid, over 10 Gallon capacity. I will do the S.S. braided hose for the drain.

The bottle capper is more of a cool toy to make bottling fun. It is pricy for the pneumatic cylinder, I looked into it and it is around $70. This may not happen.

I do want to keg but I don’t have room to refrigerate them, not till I build my kegerator/fermentation unit.

I’m not sure on the 15-20 gallon kettle.

I want to setup for future expansion to 10 gallon batch’s but would it be way to big for 5 gallon brew’s?

Fermentation options.

Here is something I saw in a magazine:
A S.S. conical bucket. Only 7Gallon though.

Or should I go with the spidel containers that some use? They have 15Gallon barrels.

Or should I stick with Glass carboys? NB just came out with a wide mouth carboy, might get one of those.

How about the plastic conical fermenters? Again It needs to be able to be opened up so it can be wiped clean without scratching.

I want something that is not tooo expensive but useful and easy to clean.

???

It’s interesting that you don’t have kegging on the list. Is that 3.0?

[quote=“amxman”]I’m not sure on the 15-20 gallon kettle.

I want to setup for future expansion to 10 gallon batch’s but would it be way to big for 5 gallon brew’s?[/quote]15 gallon pots aren’t too big for 5 gallon batches. I brew 5.5 gallon batches most of the time and boil off ~1.5 gallons so I start with 7, hardly any worry of boil over.

A consideration: if you get a kettle with built in thermometer (e.g., Blichmann Boilermaker) it’s very possible your wort level will be below the thermometer if you brew a 5 gal batch in a 15 gal kettle. Obviously not a showstopper, but I would find this annoying particularly while chilling.

Yea, Kegging would be a 3.0 list. I’m trying to keep cost down and greatly improve my quality and quantity, and efficiency. I don’t mind bottling for now.

I’ve got my eye on one of those megapot 1.2’s 15Gallons. Don’t know if I should spend extra for the ball valve and the thermometer.

Chilling wouldn’t be an issue, as I plan on counter flow gravity fed, maybe a pump.

Maybe the first big kettle I buy would only have the ball valve.

:?:

Anyone use that Super Automatic Filler that NB sells? I know it is made for the wine guys but wouldn’t it work for beer too? Could get 2-4 of these and gravity out of the bottling bucket, this would speed up bottling time greatly.

:?:

[quote=“amxman”]Yea, Kegging would be a 3.0 list. I’m trying to keep cost down and greatly improve my quality and quantity, and efficiency. I don’t mind bottling for now.

I’ve got my eye on one of those megapot 1.2’s 15Gallons. Don’t know if I should spend extra for the ball valve and the thermometer.[/quote]
The ball valve is mandatory IMO, but I would make sure you can get a 3-piece ball valve. They’re easier to clean than a 2-piece, because you can take them apart easily. A thermometer is more of a convenience, but if you get one built-in, you’ll be glad you did–assuming your batch volume isn’t below the thermometer as noted above. You could always install one later if you’re inclined to do so.

I don’t know anyone who has used it. I’m not sure I would invest anything in additional bottling equipment if I know kegging is in my future. Personally I would scratch things like the conical and bump kegging into the 2.0 plan. Other than maybe a pump, I can’t think of anything that has revolutionized my brewing process more. The other essential things (yeast starter and fermentation temp control can be achieved quite inexpensively).

I have yeast starter equipment. Need to make a stir plate… I’ll add that to the list.

I want to perfect my bottling equipment, for the beers that need to age. Also I do brew beer for other people, they buy the extract kit they want and I make it for them. I’m not going to give them a keg.

I think if the process is simplified a bit bottling wouldn’t take as much time. Or should I say semi automated(less work).

I really don’t mind bottling, and I like being able to put my beer right in my kitchen fridge so I don’t have to walk far for a beer. Kegging would require me to go down stairs to get a beer, and my home being older, that in itself is a deterrent.

[quote=“amxman”]Fermentation options.

Here is something I saw in a magazine:
A S.S. conical bucket. Only 7Gallon though.

Or should I go with the spidel containers that some use? They have 15Gallon barrels.

Or should I stick with Glass carboys? NB just came out with a wide mouth carboy, might get one of those.

How about the plastic conical fermenters? Again It needs to be able to be opened up so it can be wiped clean without scratching.

I want something that is not tooo expensive but useful and easy to clean.

???[/quote]

Get rid of the glass carboys. Unless you are using them for LONG aging secondaries, there is absolutely no advantage of them over plastic buckets.

[quote=“amxman”]I have yeast starter equipment. Need to make a stir plate… I’ll add that to the list.

I want to perfect my bottling equipment, for the beers that need to age. Also I do brew beer for other people, they buy the extract kit they want and I make it for them. I’m not going to give them a keg.

I think if the process is simplified a bit bottling wouldn’t take as much time. Or should I say semi automated(less work).

I really don’t mind bottling, and I like being able to put my beer right in my kitchen fridge so I don’t have to walk far for a beer. Kegging would require me to go down stairs to get a beer, and my home being older, that in itself is a deterrent.[/quote]
Sounds like you’ve got good reasons to keep bottling. For when you are able to start kegging, note that there are ways to bottle from a keg that IMO are much more streamlined/easier than bottle conditioning; result in clear, sediment free beer in the bottle; and reduce exposure to oxygen during the process. For example this works great: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/beer … iller.html.

[quote=“amxman”]I have many projects that I thought about doing… I did my research on all of them, made my notes and created list’s of materials including price.

Of course I have not started a single one yet, I have to now decide in what order I start.

2.5 Rubbermaid Mash Tun

1. Two tier brew stand, for all grain batch sparge setup.

2. Wooden bottle crates. Four of them.

3. Powered bottle scrubber/washer.

4. Pneumatic bottle capper.

Wish list:

Dedicated brew hut/shed, heated cooled. Don’t have space in the home so I’m a carpenter and I could build a shed just for brewing and storing/serving beer. I could run gas and electric to it and do a garden hose to it.

OR I could just sell my home and get a bigger house so I could have everything inside. Again this is a wish list so may as well dream big!!

What are your thoughts, does this seem like a good list and in a good order? I want to eventually make better beer and more of it.[/quote]

Are you kegging yet? If not, I would redirect some of this $ into a keg setup. It’ll save you oodles of frustration and time associated with bottling.

Re: two-tier stand… Before investing a bunch of $ in a top tier or something similar, have you tried BIAB? It’s a much more minimal setup requiring less equipment and no complex stand. Worth exploring before dropping that kind of money on a nice stand.

Re: Conical… Yes, I know they look cool. But do you have a truly justifiable reason for spending $600 on a conical? You can make fantastic beer in buckets, carboys, better bottles, etc.

For the brew stand I will be making my stand myself. Here is my research and drawings. I’m planning on having a batch sparge setup. BIAB can be done with this brew stand as well, If you look near the end of the discussion you can see what it is planned to look like. The upright section I was thinking of doing some kind of “crane” to do the heavy lifting for me, this is not incorporated into the drawing yet.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118391

As for the conical thing. Look at the hyperlink I posted earlier in this topic, they make a S.S. conical bucket that holds 7Gallons all for something like $175. I wouldn’t want to spend more than that. Unless I jump into selling the beer for profits.

There… I added a 5Gal Keg system to the buy list. For me right now bottles are more convenient when consuming the beer. Due to my lack of good space for keg storage.

As for the two chamber kegerator/fermenter dorm fridge thingy, my thought was that it would be better for the fridge to run as “normal” then control the fermentation chamber with fans and a aquarium temp controller (found on ebay), yes cheap china stuff. Key word “cheap” controller.

And I figured if I was going to have a refrigerator side to the build might as well make it big enough for about 2 5Gal kegs. Or two cases of bottled beer.

That’s the way I build things, I try to plan for future, additions and options. So I don’t build myself to a limited system. Even though some things may not see their full potential for a while. I don’t like doing things twice if I can just do it right once.

[quote=“amxman”]

That’s the way I build things, I try to plan for future, additions and options. So I don’t build myself to a limited system. Even though some things may not see their full potential for a while. I don’t like doing things twice if I can just do it right once.[/quote]

Build your brewshed, Mr. Carpenter…Then you’ll have the room and the place to explore your full potential…And room for your “future additions and options”.

[quote=“amxman”]I have many projects that I thought about doing… I did my research on all of them, made my notes and created list’s of materials including price.

Old freezer from CL and Johnson temp control would work great

I use a stainless IC but am looking at the duda diesel plate chillers as we speak

2.5 Rubbermaid Mash Tun
I would go 10 gal

[color=#800000]2.75 Home made yeast stir plate.
[/color]Google “stir starter” and check that baby out…few more dollars than building yourself but I think its guaranteed for life. Works awesome!
3. Two tier brew stand, for all grain batch sparge setup.

1. Wooden bottle crates. Four of them.
    Should be easy with your backround. Nice addition too if you’re constantly lugging bottles around

2. Powered bottle scrubber/washer.

3. Pneumatic bottle capper.
    Newest issue of BYO has the step by step DIY build but I don’t find any benefit for the money

15 is perfect size for your needs…3 piece ball valve a must and therm would be nice

[color=#800000]4. 5Gal Keg system
[/color]
I would move this near the top of list!!

Wish list:

What are your thoughts, does this seem like a good list and in a good order? I want to eventually make better beer and more of it.[/quote]

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com