Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

What Hops for Imperial Porter?

Looking for suggestions on which hops, and at what schedule, for an imperial porter. It will be in the 1.080 starting gravity range.

The recipe I have suggests Phoenix @ 90 minutes and First Gold @ 30 minutes. Maybe a decent substitute? The target IBU is 20 to 30.

For a Baltic/Imperial hops really don’t matter. You shouldn’t get any hops in the aroma, but you want a firm bitterness. I would suggest Magnum at 60 minutes only to your targeted IBU.

If you want to go a different way, you can do something like Saaz, EKG, Fuggle, or even a German Hallertau, but you will likely need more. Magnum or Warrior is my vote, and only one addition.

Answered this on another forum, and I suggested Magnum for bittering too. My own take on the later addition, is to use a British hop with floral/berry/earthy character. I’d recommend Kent Goldings or Brambling Cross. First Gold fits the bill too. I’d stay away from citrusy hops, I don’t think this blends well with the roast.

I’d go with Willamette because their cheap and earthy, or Target for the high AA%.

Or admiral for bittering.

How does Perle sound for bittering and Fuggles at 30 and 0 for flavor and aroma?

Sounds fine. You just now getting around to this? I thought I was a procrastinator.

I had a few brews in the pipeline before this one :mrgreen:

Talk about planning a beer out. :shock:

:lol:

I’ve recently seen palisade hops described as being like a stronger version of willamette.
I bought a couple of ounces to use for bittering with my back yard goldings as the finishing hops.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com