What has fallen into your brew kettle during BOIL

Found my first Bee in my brew kettle while doing a full boil. I skimmed it out. But I wonder…what is the strangest thing that has plunked into your Brew kettle? And did you leave it in, let it ferment, and then rack off it?

Curious

Not my kettle, but my mash tun. I had just finished doughing in my grain and stopped to snap a pic before closing it up. Plop, in went the camera.

As an aside, 148F mash was damn hot on the old hand as it instinctively dove in to rescue the camera.

On the bright side, it did produce a very smooth $100Black Lager. Yes, $100 was the estimate from canon to fix the near-new $120 camera… :shock:

cheers

Mother in laws teeth

gross…and it’s ok to dump that batch. I think most will understand. :wink:

An orange from my orange tree. Ironically, I was brewing a batch of honey beer with orange blossom honey.

Also, I was brewing late one evening and an owl took a dump that landed about 2 feet from my kettle.

I had a bee make it all the way through fermentation and end up in the hydrometer sample just before bottling. I think I fished a dozen bees out of the kettle that day, too.

moths, i brew under a flourescent light in the garage and in the fall those damn things are all over the place. i just spoon them out and keep on truckin’

PEOPLE!!

gross…and it’s ok to dump that batch. I think most will understand. :wink: [/quote]

Now you and I both know, people have NOT dumped for far worse :mrgreen:

Nothing too strange that I know about, just some random bugs here and there.

Smartphone.

[quote=“deadeye1”]PEOPLE!!

[/quote]
Best so far!
Unless you’re not kidding and then I’d like to offer my condolences.

just a bee here. I fished it out and called it Yellow Jacket Pale Ale.

I just cleaned my kettle and was pouring a bucket of star-san water, that was sitting in my garage between batches, in when I noticed something splash in from the bucket. Pulled out a pickled mouse. And started the scrub process all over. First time, I had a critter in my garage the dogs didn’t get.

I had fruit flies in my starter. fished them out. everything went smooth after that.

gross…and it’s ok to dump that batch. I think most will understand. :wink: [/quote]

Now you and I both know, people have NOT dumped for far worse :mrgreen: [/quote]

Yes, but they should have. :wink:

I made a stout and was transfering wort into carboy and the bottom of my BK has soot from burner. Some of it flaked off and one gigantic piece of soot fell right into the carboy. How the heck did that happen the opening is only ~1 inch wide. I shook my head and just thought well atleast it probably is sterile enough and it will contribute to the SRM.
Also i now carry an air rifle during boiling because of the birds.

Leaves, pine needles, and bugs. I just let them settle out during fermentation. There are enough birds that fly overhead it’s a wonder I haven’t had worse yet.

Edit: Typos

A few bees, a leaf and about 3 weeks ago my cheep reader glasses broke. As I was looking in at the boil through the steam they broke and fell in.Left me holding one earpiece and watching the rest fall in.The beer turned out fine.

Spectacle Stout? Glass Shard Ale? :smiley: