What do you use for your primary?

:wink:

[quote=“MullerBrau”]They are a bit heavy when filled but at 6’5" and 300+ lbs, I have no problem carrying them around.[/quote] :wink: [/quote]Hmmmm, yea this past year it seems like my ticker is getting tired of hauling around this extra body weight. I have to remember to breathe while transporting these puppies. The tendency is to hold your breath while focusing on each step and then do two fermenters in a row.

Greg, hope you don’t mind me going off topic…don’t mess around with this. I’ve had 2 heart attacks and I don’t recommend it. :wink: Do whatever you need to do to deal with the issue…please. We don’t want to lose you.

Greg, hope you don’t mind me going off topic…don’t mess around with this. I’ve had 2 heart attacks and I don’t recommend it. :wink: Do whatever you need to do to deal with the issue…please. We don’t want to lose you.[/quote]
Agreed. Do it!

I use bottling buckets for both pirmary and secondary. This way I can just drain and not have to siphon. Only need 3 for 10 gallon batches.

+1
Easy clean up with these 15G barrels that I use for brewing. Since I have 6 of these barrels, I’m in no hurry with my clean up method described: rinse out with hot water, fill with 6-7G of cold water,add 3/4C of chlorine,tighten both bungs, invert barrel,soak 3-4 days to remove the residual krausen, invert right side up, dump, rinse 2-3 times, sanitize with StarSan and then cap for next usage. :cheers:

By using Fermcap or other anti-foam drops, I fit 10 - 12 gallons of wort into two brewer’s buckets (6.5 gallon) - there’s less cleanup and sanitizing with 2 buckets. Hey, at least it works for me. :cheers:

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]55 liter Curtec drums or buckets for primary.
[attachment=0]wide neck drum 55 liter.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

Where would an aspiring homebrewer purchase said curtec drum or bucket?

[quote=“jonbeer”][quote=“Baratone Brewer”]55 liter Curtec drums or buckets for primary.
[attachment=0]wide neck drum 55 liter.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

Where would an aspiring homebrewer purchase said curtec drum or bucket?[/quote]From my website on the all grain page, here is a note about said kegs:

1/30/2011 Note About the Big Red and White Fermenters

The fermenters are made in Holland by a company called Curtec http://www.curtec.com . They are called 7055 wide mouth kegs and have a capacity of 55 liters or about 14.5 gallons. They have an o-ring seal in the screw on lid and function very well for 10-12 gallon fermentations. I drilled through the lid a ½” hole and installed a rubber grommet so it will accept a 3-piece airlock. I got my containers from a guy in Ohio who uses them (or the product inside of them) in his business. He uses the baking soda product and then sells the containers for about $45 each (shipping included). His name is Doug and his email is dbgrammllc@aol.com if you want to see if he has any available.

In case he does not have any more, you can also get them from the following website for around $40 plus shipping http://www.generalcontainer.com/product.aspx?pid=20

It is the N37055 (5th item). These are very sturdy, easy to clean and pretty easy to transport, even when full. I have had mine for 3-4 years now and they work great for my 20 gallon batch sizes using 2 per batch.

The advantages of them vs plstic buckets of carboys is that I only need two per batch instead of 4 buckets. Other than that, they are comparable. Very easy to clean out and inspect for cleanliness. They are a bit heavy when filled but at 6’5" and 300+ lbs, I have no problem carrying them around.

I use 10 and 15 gallon corny kegs. No modifications, just have the diptubes bent up a bit away from the bottom.

I just got to try for the first time yesterday a 5 gallon crock my wife got for me for xmas. Made a corn/dextrin mash, cover it with cheese cloth, and place it to the side. First time doing open fermentation. All other times, glass carboys.

Buckets for me, cheap, easily cleanable, easy to dry hop, and are the only vessel that will fit in my ferm fridge.

[quote=“narcout”]I use 10 gallon cornies for primary fermentation, then I pump straight to serving kegs.

[/quote]

Okay corny keg guys…I’ve done a few primaries with a 15 gallon corny and each time had a really extended fermentation with some off-flavors which could be related to fermenter geometry (tall and narrow). Have you had any of these issues?

I have a couple V-vessels, but, to be honest, I almost always use bottling buckets with spigots. I usually have 6-8 on hand. They are just so simple, easy to clean, no siphoning. Can’t beat buckets in my opinion. Have 3 6 gallon carboys that I have not touched in 6+ years - and probably never will again.

Westy wrote: Okay corny keg guys…I’ve done a few primaries with a 15 gallon corny and each time had a really extended fermentation with some off-flavors which could be related to fermenter geometry (tall and narrow). Have you had any of these issues?

Well, no. I have never heard that fermenter geometry can affect flavor, so please don’t tell my yeast :slight_smile:

Over 5 years with the current 10 and 15 gallon cornies and no issues. No bad beers, just some I like more than others.

I use a pair of glass 6.5’s that I’ve had forever. Knock on wood.

[quote=“Dean Palmer”]Westy wrote: Okay corny keg guys…I’ve done a few primaries with a 15 gallon corny and each time had a really extended fermentation with some off-flavors which could be related to fermenter geometry (tall and narrow). Have you had any of these issues?

Well, no. I have never heard that fermenter geometry can affect flavor, so please don’t tell my yeast :slight_smile:

Over 5 years with the current 10 and 15 gallon cornies and no issues. No bad beers, just some I like more than others.[/quote]

There have been studies that relate fermenter geometry to beer flavor, but using a 5, 10, or 15 gal. cornie isn’t gonna make a difference. The difference comes in when you have a fermenter that holds thousands of gal.

Are you releasing the pressure in your corny? The geometry relates to pressures the yeast see, for small volumes its not significant. For a large commercial fermentor, the yeast are subjected to pressures of 7-15psi. Above that and you are supposed to start seeing problems.

I’m set up to do pressurized fermentation now, in a conical and in cornies. The key item is a spunding valve that acts as a variable relief valve.

Dobe, what are you looking for to know when to do the d-rest?

I’ve got the 15 gal corny capped with an airlock when I ferment with it. I’m with Denny on the narrow vessel seemingly not having an effect with such small wort volumes, but on a couple of brews done in the corny and in carboys, fermentation times were 50% longer in the corny versus two carboys. Full yeast starter in corny, split starter into carboys. Certainly, not a scientific way to compare yeast cell quantities pitched, maybe the carboys got more yeast?