What Do You Stock Your Grain Supply With?

What Do You Stock Your Grain Supply With? And what do you store your grains in?

I store mine in Home Depot 5 gallon bucket and always have 2 row on hand. I keep smaller amounts of others, just not 5 gallons of them.

For base grain, I typically have Rahr 2-row and Crisp MO on hand. I store them in Vittles Vault
http://www.amazon.com/Vittles-Vault-50-50-Pound-Stackable/dp/B0002DJOOI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407900903&sr=8-3&keywords=vittles+vault
. Fits 50-55 lbs perfectly. Just picked up a third VV, so I could get a sack of Golden Promise to play around with.

I keep a wide variety of specialty malts on hand, but it’s a bit variable depending on what season I’m brewing for. I probably have 15-20 different specialty malts at the moment.

I store bulk base grains in 5 gal buckets, I normally just keep 2 row for base. Specialty malts in large zip lock bags in a 5 gal bucket. I normally keep a few lbs each(more or less depending on the grain) of several different crystal malts, rye, wheat, Munich, victory, chocolate.

I also store in buckets, but in my case they are gasketted six gallon buckets. 2 and a half buckets hold a 40 kg sack, which is how I buy my pale and pilsner malt, and occasionally wheat. Specialty malts go into plastic bags, which are packed in another bucket. Whenever I don’t have enough of a specialty malt for an upcoming brew, I’ll buy a 1 kg bag of it and know the rest will get used eventually. I might have 20 different specialty malts in that bucket on average.

I use 5 gallon buckets with Gamma Seal Lids. Amazon has them for $10.95, but I paid less at Menards

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gamma-Seal-Li ... B0089QJQTS

I keep two row and a variety of crystal and roasted malts on hand. My closest LHBS used to sell grains in sealed 1 pound bags and I would load up on those. They’re now gone to open bins of everything, which is great if you’re building a recipe, but not so great if you’re like me and just want to stock up.

I buy sacks of 2 row and MO and store in vittle vaults.

Wondering where everyone stores their grain- basement, closet, garage? I would assume a garage is out due to excessive heat in the summer months.

The dog and I walk the six blocks to Hop Heads in Fort Walton Beach where they weigh out the grains for my next brew.

The few bits and pieces I still have left from before Hop Heads opened live in a plastic tub with a dehumidifier pack in the utility/brew room.

Uninsulated, outside shed. As long as humidity is kept out, temperature doesn’t matter much. My grain goes from a high of 85 in the summer to a low of -20 in the winter without any problems.

How long do you all consider uncracked grains good for?

Stored properly years.

The bags of Crisp MO I’ve bought lately have had a best by date of 2 years from when I bought them. Not that I’ll get anywhere near that. :smiley:

To answer that, you have to know what would make the grain go bad. Humidity can quickly cause grain to go stale, but if kept dry, I can’t think of anything that wouldn’t take a long time to happen. Eventually, I would guess the enzymes will denature, but that is only a worry with base grains, and I’ve kept base grains for 3+ years with no problems.

I consider properly stored, uncracked grain to last indefinitely.

I usually buy one sack of base grain at a time and brew all my beers using that grain. I just finished off a sack of 2-row and am about to (hopefully next week!!) brew a german pilsner with the 55lb sack of best malz pilsner I just bought.

I store mine in home depot buckets but with a slight modification: the “gamma lid” (also sold at home depot in the paint aisle). I love these things. Makes it super easy to open and close:

I keep 55-330# of 2-row, and 2-10# each of C-10, C-20, C-40, C-60, C-75, C-120, CaraPils, Rye, Wheat & CaraVienna. That allows me to brew most anything on a whim. I brew 20+ gallons at a time.

I keep the grains uncrushed in UTZ pretzel containers (11# capacity) and PUB Mix (6# capacity) containers in the garage on top of the cabinets, neatly organized and labeled. No issues with the heat and the containers keep the humidity and insects out. I have taken a few pics of this area but cannot seem to locate them at this time.

Color Malt - Large square plastic strage bin,
Base Malt - a large rolling trashcan with a good top. I keep 2-4 sacks in there.

Currently stored in the living room but am looking to make structure in the backyard to house all my brewing stuff.

Barry

Base malts (2-row and Pilsen) in vittle vaults, specialty grains in individual zip locs in a five gallon bucket with a gamma seal lid.

+1 on the Vittles vaults - the big ones that hold a full 55 pound sack. I keep 2 row, pilsner, and Maris Otter in them, with all crystals or similar specialty malts in a fourth Vittles vault in their original bags of 1-5 pounds. Then other dark roast malts, flaked malts and unique grains and rice hulls go in a Rubbermaid tub with a snap lid.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I keep 55-330# of 2-row, and 2-10# each of C-10, C-20, C-40, C-60, C-75, C-120, CaraPils, Rye, Wheat & CaraVienna. That allows me to brew most anything on a whim. I brew 20+ gallons at a time.

I keep the grains uncrushed in UTZ pretzel containers (11# capacity) and PUB Mix (6# capacity) containers in the garage on top of the cabinets, neatly organized and labeled. No issues with the heat and the containers keep the humidity and insects out. I have taken a few pics of this area but cannot seem to locate them at this time.[/quote]
No Pils malt or Munich? Roast malts? How do you brew German beers, stouts or porters with that puny selection of grains?