What do you all think about US 04 for a dry stout?

Anyone brew a dry stout with us 04? If so how did it turn out?

Turned out good.

I hate it. But i hate it for all styles, not just stout.

What is it very estery and fruity?

not if you brew it at fairly low temperatures (60-62F). some people just hate it for some reason.

Nottingham is another good choice. Although i really like 04

I’m in the camp that hates 04. Gives everything a hint of butterscotch to me.

Had lots of success with Notingham for my dry stouts.

On the other hand, the people who like the 04 have used it for stout and found it fine.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]I’m in the camp that hates 04. Gives everything a hint of butterscotch to me.

Had lots of success with Notingham for my dry stouts.

On the other hand, the people who like the 04 have used it for stout and found it fine.[/quote]

That’s interesting. I’m really sensitive to diacetyl and I’ve never gotten any when I’ve use S-04. I do make sure to raise the temp for a few days at the end of fermentation, and I make sure not to rush fermentation.

I haven’t used it for a stout yet, but I like S-04 so much it has replaced US-05 as my go-to ale yeast for all non-hoppy brews. It’s great in porters and browns, so it should be fine in a stout.

Well on thing is for certain that S04 burns thru fermentation quick fast…On the 20th when i made the OP i pitched S04 in a small 1050 wort…and it went right thru it. Still gonna let it sit for 2-3 weeks to clean up…but still gotta taste it to see if it can hold its own with 1084…highly doubt it but we will see…cheers

The second highest score I ever received in a competition was for a RIS fermented with S-04.

I have a dry stout on tap I made with us-04 came out great.

Another one for the “Hates S-04” camp.

I’m in the S-04 hate camp, but I’ve never had it in a stout, so I can’t stay 100% that I hate the yeast. But otherwise, it’s got a weird fruity/bready thing that I don’t like. Maybe it wouldn’t be as noticeable in a stout or porter.

Nope it’s still there in stouts too. Add me to the list of haters…

Whoa alot of people hate s 04…now i wish i would have opted for 1084…i did ferment @63 hopefully that reduced the bready fruitness

I have to say that the S04 fermented my stout very clean…at first when tasted the hydro sample it was tangy and thin which had me a little concerned …after spending a few days in the keg carbing its very clean and guinness like and the s04 did good work…no fruity/bread in the beer at all…just a nice roastyness

I’m in the ‘love it’ group. I haven’t experienced the butterscotch/fruity aspects that others seem to have encountered. I still prefer my own house yeast (which, for all I know, may be distantly related) but I’ve used S-04 now in mild to IPA to Stout to Burton/Barleywine (and everything that comes in between these) and haven’t ever experienced flavors that were inappropriate.

This is a simple case of “just try it”. You’re the only one that can make an accurate judgement.

[quote=“The Professor”]I’m in the ‘love it’ group. I haven’t experienced the butterscotch/fruity aspects that others seem to have encountered. I still prefer my own house yeast (which, for all I know, may be distantly related) but I’ve used S-04 now in mild to IPA to Stout to Burton/Barleywine (and everything that comes in between these) and haven’t ever experienced flavors that were inappropriate.

This is a simple case of “just try it”. You’re the only one that can make an accurate judgement.[/quote]

Yeah i agree…I thought it produced a nice clean stout…i fermented at 63-64.

I am another who enjoyed S-04. Used it in an oatmeal stout, fermented around 64-66F. It turned out great for me. I bottled that batch, and what was really cool is that all the yeast/sediment stuck to the bottom of the bottles, so I could pour the entire beer! Well, some sediment possibly made it to the pint glass; it was really dark and hard to tell, but I didn’t notice anything bad.

Ok at first i thought s04 did a good job of making a DIS…but it gave off quite a bit of diacetyl not the flavor but the slickness …im a little suprised cause i had the keg sitting @ room temp for over a week…and some of those fruity notes are coming thru, im getting pear…i dont want pear in DIS…It is attenuated decently which is good…Overall it produced a drinkable beer but i would not bring it to the NHC thats for damn sure…S04/DIS gets a 4/10

I liked it okay, but I split the batch with WY 1968 and I liked it a lot better. If you don’t want diacetyl with these Engish yeasts, you have to let them sit for 7-10 days. If you cold crash them after you stop seeing a krausen, you are going to end up with a butterscotch bomb. I have a friend that always does this and his beers always have a ton of diacetyl. I have to remind him to be patient.