What did you cook today?

Perhaps you’ll get to Moose Lake,south of Duluth, send me a private message and I’ll meet you at the brewery…? Sneezles61

:ok_hand:

Sunday a quick meal featuring the first harvest of asparagus with salad and hot ham and cheese sandwiches.

Monday night hamburgers with pan fried parsnips and asparagus. Tonight more asparagus with, to be decided later.

2 Likes

“To be decided later” was more asparagus with salad and chicken schnitzel.

2 Likes

Speaking of Asparagus, it’s harvest time in West Michigan.

Freshly picked

I have two asparagus patches, but in total a little smaller than that one.

1 Like

This is only part of this farm. Moonlighting hauling it in and they took over 20,000 pounds off yesterday.

Sauteed some fresh asparagus, broccoli, spinach, potatoes, ham, turkey, fresh tomatoes in a pan then dumped 5 beaten eggs from the neighbor’s chickens on it. Scrambled the whole mess then packed her down and put some sharp cheddar on it and tossed it under the broiler for a few minutes. A little mild salsa on top and voila!

edit: changed pic orientation 90 degrees

1 Like

Cut some asparagus to have with supper last night. Hadn’t cut for two days. No, we didn’t eat it all with supper. Needed room for ham and raw fried potatoes. Some of the asparagus tips were opening but still tender.

1 Like

Two racks of ribs went on the smoker at 2a.m. Our smoker is really slow so I’ll check them about 2p.m. As long as the water bowl doesn’t run dry, it’s hard to burn them on it.

The whole neighborhood is salivating I suspect.

4 Likes

The house is warmer and the butter is soft. Perfect for a very thin spread on toast. Light taste of butter and the toast has no soggy spots. The flavor of the bread is still dominant. Just a simple pleasure to start out the day.

3 Likes

Flars I respectfully disagree… I like to have a little bread with my butter!
I will take advantage of this long W/E and do something other than construction… Seeing as it’ll very hot out, I’ll be doing the “weed wacker” scenario… Not much cooking, just salads, fruit… Lots of refrigerator tea, and of course, some brews by a fire at night… Sneezles61

Here is what they looked like.

2 Likes

Low and slow… I drilled a hole in my lid so I could stick a thermometer in there, close to the grate. I sure seems to work well! Sneezles61

I’ve always cooked breakfast in our house and I like cooking whole meals in one pan, preferably a deep skillet or dutch oven. Mostly on the cooktop but sometimes finished with a few mintues baking in the oven. If all 3 kids are home and a few more guests I’m usually cooking breakfast for 8-10. We haveon occasion had a vegetarian or a vegan to feed so I adjust my proteins as needed. Any ingredients I don’t grow I get from neighbors or local farm markets whenever possible. We eat pretty close to the source organic as possible vegetables and meat.

Two of the 3 kids are here for the weekend so I did a skillet breakfast. Finely chopped red onion (sometimes shallots) and yellow (or red) bell pepper, and chicken sausage sauted in olive oil until tender, then add diced sweet potato, teaspoon or more cumin, paprika, garam masala, pinch red pepper flakes and salt to taste. Cover and cook until sweet potato is softening, add a couple handfuls of chopped kale and cover and steam kale then uncover stir kale in and cook for a few minutes then crack eggs on top of the hash, sprinkle liberally with black pepper, recover and cook until eggs are done to your taste. IYou can put the covered skillet into a 425F oven for a few minutes and bake the eggs if you like, today I just decided to use the already hot stovetop.

I’ve cooked this weth all kinds of meat. I prefer bacon but it’s good with any kind of sausage. My local butcher cures bacon and makes sausages of all kinds with all kinds of local meats. The one I used today was a kind of country breakfast sausage with chicken. Didn’t take any pictures but it’s a pretty colorful dish.

2 Likes

I have a similar dish in soup form. Starts with caramelizing onions in a large pan (or large clad bottom pot (see old brewpot)). When that is done you chop the next densest vegetable and add that on med/low to brown slightly. Just keep chopping vegetables in the order of hardest to softest. Make sure to put some celery in there because that’s the only secret ingredient. Finish with some potatoes. When all this is looking yummy transfer to large pot in you haven’t already and add some kidney beans or beans of choice. Add some chicken stock (or veggie stock if vegetarian). Add a few cans of dice tomatoes (or tomatoes if in season). Add water to preferred density and bring to a boil. When it is boiling add sliced smoked sausage and then chopped Kale. When the kale is limp you are done.
I season as I go based on my whims and desires but besides salt and pepper I’m a big fan of turmeric due to its earthiness and colorant properties.

Grilled chicken legs with invented on the fly BBQ sauce and grilled asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower drenched in butter infused olive oil. Oh, and baked potato

1 Like

Didn’t get over 60°F today. Darn cold when two days ago it was +90°. So I made a pot of chili.

1 Like

My world famous (almost) short ribs. This wasn’t really the cut I like but it was all I could find at the farmer’s market yesterday and my butcher was closed.

2 Likes