What did you cook today?

Butternut squash and mushroom curry with rice. Forgot to take a picture and…it’s all gone…

Been wanting to try this recipe from NYTimes cooking. my buddy grows mushrooms in a wood troff in his basement. I don’t ask but the stuff they grow in looks a lot like deer scat…could be alpaca or llama… got some fresh bellas, shiitakes and crazy clumps of oyster mushrrooms from him today so…

Pretty much cooked it by the recipe, probably increased the spices a bit here and there…Saute 3/4 to lb of 1/2 inch chunks of squash in a neutral oil or ghee over med high heat in a large skillet, once browned remove to a plate and in the same pan brown 3 med finely chopped shallots, then add a couple whole sliced open jalapenos, 1/2++ tsp each of coriander, turmeric, mustard seed, cumin seed, paprika, curry powder or hand full of fresh leaves, 3 cardamom pods or 1/2 tsp seeds, a couple cloves of minced garlic, a little cayenne to taste, cook a minute or so until fragrant, then add 1 lb mixed mushrroms and stir until coated, cook until soft then add a cup or so of coconut milk, add the squash back, a splash of water as needed for sauce consistency as it simmers for 20 mins, salt and pepper to taste…add juice of a lime to taste and garnish with cilantro…servie in a bowl with rice or potatoes.

it’s freaking amazing. Next time I’ll add a handful of greens like kale or spinach with the spices to wilt and maybe a cup of chopped celery cooked with the shallots.

Taking the ham bone from our Christmas ham and making some split pea soup. I’m pretty excited about it so I doubled recipe so I can freeze some for later.

3 Likes

Cooked some wood chips today. My wife got me a new smoker for my birthday and it needed to be “seasoned” That just meant running it for 3 hours with chips in for the last 45 min. haven’t decided what the first actual food in it will be.

My wife makes soup all the time so I have to share this. Not wanting to derail the thread but I was going to make meatloaf for supper at deercamp. My hunting partner regaled me with how his wife makes amazing meatloaf and potatoes in her instantpot. Amazoned one to camp and haven’t looked back since. Wife loves it for soup making. Dry beans are ready in about 30 minutes. I made a cheesy scalloped potato dish in about 20 minutes the other night. There are a bajillion recipes on the interweb too.

1 Like

I got one for Christmas. Pretty excited about using it but haven’t had a chance yet.

I love split pea soup. Are you going to make those croutons?

Going to seal a meal a couple steaks and try the Vide Sousa, er … what ever its called this W/E… I’ll just set a kettle on the stove top and watch it with my thermal pen… We have that warming spot to try… Sneezles61

1 Like

Pretty sure you’ll be hooked.

Sous vide…i think.

1 Like

The instant pots are serious! We’ve had 2 of them for a year now and might add a 3rd after holiday things settle. Dry beans, potatoes and hard boiled eggs are a few things that come to mind when I think about how quick and perfect they come out. Received a recipe book for Christmas that looks amazing and ready to try some of the offerings they share. The web is full of great stuff too as @WMNoob mentioned

1 Like

I ended up making grilled cheese sandwiches and cutting them up instead of the croutons.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Pork baby back ribs ala instant pot with avocado ranch dressed salad.

1 Like

Enchilada casserole. Prep time 20 minutes. 1 hr cook time w/rest. Super easy and delicious!

2 Likes

I made white chili in the instant pot yesterday. Set it on saute and did the onions and peppers then tossed in all the other ingredients, locked it down and pressed the soup/chili button and it was done 30 minutes later. Very cool! I need to try other recipes but I think I’m sold on this thing!

1 Like

Would Flars approve of this new era gizmo? :confused: Sneezles61

2 Likes

I’m sure he’d have been all in. Opens the door for lots of stuff!

2 Likes

Yeah, losing Flars is like a swift kick to the sweets… It just aint right… To the many that contribute, this place is quite like an old friend… I really won’t subscribe to it " dying a slow death" … I trust as long as we keep talking, there will be a place for us to hang out… So ,If things change… some one falls off the grid… do we regulars have a way to … communicate? Input needed now… I would be lost without many of you… Input, output from our simple ways of brewing, or as complex we can make them… Brothers/Sisters… Sneezles61

3 Likes

If the grid goes down I’ll resort to smoke signals. Simplre morse code.

1 Like

I think my email is associated with my profile and I have it set so if you message me it shows up there too. I don’t think it’s slowing down. Lots of new folks and the regulars have continued their open friendly advice. This particular thread was maybe driven mostly by Flars and his kitchen creativity but the rest are still perking along.

2 Likes