What did you cook today?

Looks good. Always wanted to try short ribs but finding quality or even the ribs is impossible here.

they are hard to find and I prefer a british cut which is meatier. My local butcher cuts them for me on request but I need to give him some notice.

The recipe I use is from Chef Marcus Samuelsson at the Red Rooster Harlem. The Red Rooster Cookbook has some fantastic soul food recipes.

8 (6-ounce) English-cut short ribs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, trimmed and chopped
2 celery ribs, trimmed and chopped
1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed, smashed and minced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and minced
½ cup dry red wine
3 cups beef or chicken broth
½ cup plum sauce
Âź cup soy sauce
2 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
2 bay leaves
Freshly grated horseradish, for serving (optional)

Preparation

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Pat meat dry with paper towels and season all over with salt and pepper.
Heat grapeseed oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add short ribs and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
Add onion, carrot, celery, lemongrass, garlic and ginger to the pot. Season with salt and cook, stirring often, until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Pour in wine and cook, stirring to dissolve any of the brown bits that may still be on the bottom of the pot. Add broth, plum sauce, soy sauce, thyme, parsley and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
Return short ribs to pot, along with any juices, cover and slide pot into oven. Braise until meat is fork-tender, about 2 hours.
Transfer meat to a plate. Strain braising liquid into a fat separator. If you don't have a fat separator, use a ladle to skim the fat off the top of the braising liquid; then strain through a fine mesh sieve.
Discard bay leaves and thyme stems and transfer vegetables to a food processor. Process vegetables until smooth, then add 1 1/2 cups of the defatted braising liquid to the processor and pulse to combine.
Return sauce to Dutch oven and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add short ribs and turn to coat in the sauce; set aside until you’re ready to serve.
Reheat short ribs in the sauce. Divide short ribs between four shallow bowls and top each with a spoonful of sauce. Put remaining sauce in a bowl for passing at the table, along with a bowl of horseradish, if you'd like.

Smoking some lake trout fillets on the grill after spending the day working in the garden. Grapefruit gose in the glass, pairs perfectly with a warm sunny day.

4 Likes

Last nights supper. A meatless meal. Protein from eggs. Toasted french bread with provolone cheese. Used a fry pan for the bread rather than the oven. Liked the results of the fry pan better. Oven method dries the bread too much.

Recently prepared left over baked russets and left over reds from a brisket boil. Butter the halved potatoes and brown in a covered fry pan on medium low heat. Reds take longer to brown with the low starch content.

2 Likes

Last nights dinner was grilled hamburgers and baked beans. I also grilled asparagus and potatoes slathered in butter infused olive oil and garlic and herb sea salt.

2 Likes

I made shrimp n’ grits for dinner on Sunday with broiled beets and broccoli. I forgot to take a picture though…

Grilled pork chops and raw fried potatoes with a lettuce salad last night. Used to be able to do get good grilled chops with the old grill. These were a little over done. Try again Friday but brine the chops first. Higher heat and shorter time on the grill.

I just learned of Pork-Cat syndrome today. :fearful:

I’ve never heard of that. Man that would suck.

We’ve had a cat around most of the time for the last 30 years but our last one died a couple years ago. We had decided as he was aging that he would be our last cat. Now I’m positive I won’t have another one!

Just make sure you share some bacon with your cat, then they won’t develop whatever protein causes this. It’s for your own good. Cats like pork. And SO I’VE HEARD… human is the other white meat. Don’t tempt your cat. You’ll wake up with nine toes.

1 Like

I made butternut squash noodle ramen for dinner tonight. It’s a pretty fast one pot dinner and can be vegetarian or even vegan but I added in diced checken breast and boiled eggs. Next time I’ll put in some mushrooms.

What make matters worse is the Lone Star Tick and Alpha-gal allergy ,which is what I was researching. Where you actually become allergic to all meat BUT “the other white meat” as @porkchop describes it.

Grilled brats on buns tonight with cob corn from the freezer. Nothing new about brats but I used a new method to heat the sweet corn. Last time heated in boiling water. Lost a lot of sweet juice in the bag to the heat. Went low and slow tonight. Worked very well. Juice remained in the kernels.

1 Like

New York strips… grilled bread… Home brew to boot! Sneezles61

Hey! We have the same pattern of “fine china”

Zwilling, Fremonte’, and ol’ disposable/burnables china-ware! Imported table too!
Sure seems like the high life! Sneezles61

Corned beef boil last night. A small brisket for two.

3 Likes

Last night smoked ribs, green beans, and muffin pan hash browns. Been working on the recipe for making the hash browns in the oven to free up the stove top for cooking other items. Have four jumbo muffin pans to make 24 servings at a time for parties. Onion and cheese is hidden inside the hash browns.

This old man was hurting after doing a little lawn care. Decided to do some lighter duty before fixing dinner. Baked a couple of loaves of bread in the morning.

3 Likes

I’d like to hear more of the “muffin pan man hash browns” Flars! Sneezles61

I can post the recipe when I get it typed.

2 Likes