What Category for Wild Rice Pale Ale?

I’m planning to enter this in a competition. Any idea what category I should enter it in? I think the 1450 batch is tasting great right now after lagering in a keg for 8 weeks. I can perceive the wild rice taste and aroma, but I think maybe that is just because I know it’s there. I think a judge would be able to perceive it too, but I’m not positive.

Recipe for 10 gallons:

14 lbs. Valley Organic Pale Malt
13.3 oz. Valley Organic Light Crystal
1 lb. Breiss Carapils 1.3L
3.5 lbs. Organic Wild Rice (Lundberg Family Farm, Richvale, CA)
1.5 oz. Glacier pellet hops 5.6% (FWH)
2.1 oz. Glacier pellet hops 5.6% (60 min.)
1 Tbsp Irish Moss (rehydrated) (15 min.)
0.4 oz. Glacier pellet hops 5.6% (0 min.)
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II (Fermenter A)
Wyeast 1450 Denny’s Favorite 50 (Fermenter B)

Grind the wild rice fine and perform cereal mash with 1 1/6 lb of the pale malt. Mash at 158F for 20 minutes and then boil for 1 hour until gelatinized. Add this to the main mash and mash at 153F for 1 hour.

OG: 1.043
FG: 1.011 (Fermenter A)
FG: 1.012 (Fermenter B)
ABV: 4.3% (Fermenter A)
ABV: 4.1% (Fermenter B)

II would try entering it in both the base beer category (Is this a pale ale?) and in either 21A spice/herb/veg or 23A Specialty Beer. In 23A you need the flavor of the rice to be “distinctive” in aroma and flavor

I would just call it a regular old pale ale unless the wild rice flavor is HUGE, then it would be Category 23. But otherwise, stick with regular pale ale.

You may also try 8B Premium Bitter if the Glacier hops shine through. To me Glacier is spicey and peppery like the English hops. :cheers:

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]I would just call it a regular old pale ale unless the wild rice flavor is HUGE, then it would be Category 23. But otherwise, stick with regular pale ale.[/quote]+1!

Thanks, guys. 10A it is!