What beer for family gathering?

My uncles B day is in august and the family is gonna get together…I would like to brew a batch for the occasion…Im thinking a bavarian helles would be a good choice…what do you all think is a good beer for people not well versed in the craft beer world?.. Something everyone can drink

Helles is a nice beer. Possibly to malty for some. But if they are open minded it should work great.

Other options. Am Wheat, Cal Common, Kolsch, Alt, Mild, or the Irish Blond all should be “unoffensive”.

I would add Irish Red to the list. I think it is a good intro to tasting craft beer. If you give someone a beer that looks anything like a grocery store beer, they will have a harder time getting past the fact that it doesn’t taste like a grocery store beer. There is a built-in bias toward what appears familiar, even after you tell them. Since an Irish Red doesn’t look like a Bud, it will immediately kill that bias, and put the taster in the, “I’m trying something new” mindset. It’s darker, so people imagine it to be “bolder” than bud, but it’s still pretty light, so you’re not going to trigger the “I don’t like Guinness” reaction either.

The NB recipe in particular, I find very accessible, if at the blander end of the style. (I’ve only done the extract version)

Then maybe have a six of something more flavorful, to “set the hook” in anyone who responds well.

I just picked up a Speckled Heifer kit for that purpose. Personally, I think the beer it mimics is good, but way overrated. But it’s still a hugely popular crowd pleaser, and I figure my real goal here isn’t to please myself, it’s to please the crowd. Also the original isn’t available where any of my family lives, so I don’t have to worry too much about it being scrutinized against it.

That anecdote aside, all good suggestions so far. Helles might be my top choice if you’ve got the equipment to pull it off.

[quote=“bunderbunder”]I just picked up a Speckled Heifer kit for that purpose. Personally, I think the beer it mimics is good, but way overrated. But it’s still a hugely popular crowd pleaser, and I figure my real goal here isn’t to please myself, it’s to please the crowd. Also the original isn’t available where any of my family lives, so I don’t have to worry too much about it being scrutinized against it.

That anecdote aside, all good suggestions so far. Helles might be my top choice if you’ve got the equipment to pull it off.[/quote]

I agree with that 100%, as I’ve just done the same. I’m having people over for Memorial Day weekend, and I made a batch of SH to more or less give away. A helles is an excellent choice, as it’s a pretty universally accepted/recognized style of beer. If that’s too malty, I’d suggest a Czech Pils; slightly drier and hoppier, but a generally a crowd-pleaser.

A properly balanced colder fermented cream ale works too. I always try to keep something like this on tap for under explored visitors. Not to mention, it sure tastes delicious on those hot Charleston days!

i have a cream ale in primary fermented @ 59-60…i might hold on to it until august…good call

The Cream Ale is a great choice for people who don’t partake often or aren’t familiar with craft brews. I bottled one about a month ago and although it turned out well, i find it kind of bland. Anyway, my wife & a friend both think it’s the best tasting one i’ve made(out of 20 batches). Niether of them are beer drinkers! If i brew it again, i’ll doctor it up with some dryhops. Good luck man! :cheers:

Thanks alot bro cheers

Last summer I had a big ‘clan’ gathering that I decided to provide beer for. I started brewing in April, and by July had a Cream Ale, a Wheat ale, An Irish Red, a Rye IPA, and a Caribou Slobber ready.
The cream ale went the quickest, but I had the most positive comments about the Rye IPA.
So, I’d brew one BMC-friendly, probably a Cream Ale, or maybe a Blue Moon clone, then one more flavorful ‘showcase’ brew.

[quote=“James Rausch”]Last summer I had a big ‘clan’ gathering that I decided to provide beer for. I started brewing in April, and by July had a Cream Ale, a Wheat ale, An Irish Red, a Rye IPA, and a Caribou Slobber ready.
The cream ale went the quickest, but I had the most positive comments about the Rye IPA.
So, I’d brew one BMC-friendly, probably a Cream Ale, or maybe a Blue Moon clone, then one more flavorful ‘showcase’ brew.[/quote]

+1…^^^^^^

Thanks alot everyone for the recommendations…Im gonna go with either a bavarian helles,cream ale or a Bohiemian pilsner dont think i can go wrong with any of those…cheers

I gotta travel with this keg and i want to bring clear beer to this gathering and im not trying to serve hazy cloudy yeast filled helles so im planning to primary as usual 2 weeks, D rest(if needed) then lager @ 34-35 for 6 weeks and add gelatin on week 5…I heard people using short dip tubes as well… :cheers:

Let it lager and settle, then transfer to a clean keg before the trip.

Yeah nothing better then time and cold temps for clear beer right? thank you

If you have a spare keg, do your lagering/gelatin in a keg and carbonate it. Before traveling, pour 1-2 pints to clear the yeast/trub from around the dip tube. Then jumper it to the new keg. Make up a line with 2 “out” disconnects to jumper it.

Excellent nighthawk…exactly what im gonna do…thank you

For our reunion, I’m going with Helles and also an American Wheat beer - even people new to craft beer seem to like the wheat.