West Coast IPA - Belgian Yeast?

I have been toying with the idea of making a Green Flash West Coast IPA Clone with Belgian Yeast. I guess I don’t know the true definition of a Belgian IPA, and I am new at recipe collaboration.

I basically want to make a Hoppy, Funky, Strong IPA.

The Green Flash Clone recipe is as follows:
All Grain

Estimated OG: 1.072
Estimated FG: 1.016

6 Gallon Recipe

84.2 14.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
7.9 1.31 lbs. Crystal 40L
7.9 1.31 lbs. Cara-Pils / Dextrine Malt

0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) 60 min
0.25 oz Simcoe 60 min
1.00 oz Simcoe 90 min
0.25 oz Simcoe 30 min
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) 30 min
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) 15 min
0.75 oz Simcoe 15 min
1.00 oz Cascade 10 min
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk)
0.50 oz Simcoe
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) 7 days
0.50 oz Simcoe 7 days
0.50 oz Centennial 7 days
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold 7 days

60 Minute Infusion at 152 degrees F
60 Minute Boil.

My questions is, What would you do? Is it simple enough to just use WP 3724 or WP1388? Would you substitute the 2-row with Belgian Pale Ale? Would they play nicely with the hops? The hop schedule is ridiculous on this one, I may simplify it a bit.

TIA!

I might drop the 30 minute additions (add them later in the boil), move the 90 to 60, and maybe add some FWH, but this should be a great beer.

Personally, I would use the strong ale yeast, as opposed to the saison, but I think either would be good. You could always split the batch and try both. I am guessing Green Flash’s Le Freak is probably pretty close to this (their standard IPA but with belgian yeast).

You will need a decent-sized starter, and I would start the ferment around 65, ramping up to the low 70’s. These two steps are key in making any Belgian-inspired ale. If you’ve ever had La Chouffe’s Houblon, it was really one of the first well-made Belgian/trappist-inspired beers that had a big hop profile.

Now I want to make one! Let us know how this turns out…

I like the sound of this!

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, I hate when “life” gets in the way of brewing! Its been far too long ! I am slated to brew this on Monday.

I had a friend run to a brew store and pick up ingredients while he was out shopping for his own.

This is what I ended up with:

14 lbs Belgian Pale Ale
2 lbs Crystal 20L Malt
2 lbs Briess Carapils / Dextrine Malt

3.00 oz. Columbus (http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php)
3.00 oz. Simcoe
1.00 oz Centenial
1.00 oz. Cascade
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold

White Labs WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast

A good place to see what styles of beer bring to the table, is the BJCP website. Google BJCP and find the web version of the style guide.

A Belgian Pale really is a lot less hoppy than an IPA so you can get the Belgian yeast character. But doing what you propose will make a good beer, it might not show a lot of yeast character through a big hop schedule.

Thanks TS^^^

I’m not too concerned about traditional style here as it is an experiment in my eye. I agree that the hops could overtake that nice yeast earthiness, but I’m really hoping they will balance for a nice I interesting style.

Currently boiling away.

I simplified the hop schedule above and took all the hops from 10 and 15 min. an used them for FWH. I hope this was Ok, as they came out to 37% of the hop totals.

The schedule is as follows:

90 minute boil

0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) FWH
1.00 oz Simcoe FWH
1.00 oz Cascade. FWH

0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) 60 min
1.25 oz Simcoe 60 min

0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) FLAME OUT
0.50 oz Simcoe FLAME OUT

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) 7 days
0.50 oz Simcoe 7 days
0.50 oz Centennial 7 days
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold 7 days

I also had the grain rounded up since the brew shop milled it all together.

Grain bill ended up being:
14# Belgian Pale Ale
2# Crystal 20L malt
2# Briess Carapils / Dextrine Malt

I’m probably shooting for closer to 6 gallons since the grain bill is so heavy.

Yeast is WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale.

We shall see!

Two months later, this beer is carbed up in bottles and absolutely one of my favorite brew thus far. It is super fruity with great bitterness. Clocking in at 8.5 ABV. Nice balance and body. Super happy with this, smells fantastic to boot !

Sounds nice!!!

I wanted to make a Australian hopped IPA but ended up using Wyeast 3711 French Saison. At first I was disappointed because it really wasn’t what I was going for. It has a somewhat sweet Wiess start but finishes with a nice hop flavor. After it ages a bit in the bottles it has become one of my favorites…

[quote=“Brew1”]Sounds nice!!!

I wanted to make a Australian hopped IPA but ended up using Wyeast 3711 French Saison. At first I was disappointed because it really wasn’t what I was going for. It has a somewhat sweet Wiess start but finishes with a nice hop flavor. After it ages a bit in the bottles it has become one of my favorites…[/quote]

Can’t go wrong with a Belgian yeast, IMHO.

I believe Green Flash makes a Belgian version of their IPA…Le Freak I think its called. Green Flash IPA is a fantastic beer. I miss it as it is not available here in Honolulu.