Went down on a false bottom

Let me premise; the only bottom I have my eyes on is my wife’s. But this am after mashing a new recipe containing 12 oz instant grits I had to clear the false bottom with a few steady blows into the drain-off tube. Never dealt with that before. In fact the grits, in areas, set up like tile. Yes, I stirred the mash consistently. Also noticed my 2nd runnings seemed to find a gutter of sorts. But I got ‘close’ to my gravity. Grits clog huh?

Edit; ramblings courtesy of Mike Bures, South Florida brewer, currently typing and sipping an Innkeeper and a scotch on a fine Sunday afternoon.

Maybe a hop sack for the grits next time

Not a bad idea

another reason I’m the scared of grits. but the hop sack idea sounds good…

hmmm…that’s curious.
I’ve occasionally used grits (instant or quick, depending upon what’s on hand) in quantities of 1 or even 2 lbs and haven’t ever had them clump or clog the false bottom of the mash vessel. How are you adding the grits to your mash? Any clumps that might form should be broken up when you’re stirring and breaking up clumps in the malt that sometimes can form.

The grits were added to the mash last and then incorporated. I stirred so well I got brewers elbo. The clumping seemed to prevail during 2nd runs. Alls well though. She’s bubbling away this am.

[quote=“harpdog”]Maybe a hop sack for the grits next time[/quote]And be sure to slip a sack over the hose before you blow on it, never know what you might catch otherwise!

I made a 15gal batch of cream ale using corn meal and it stuck like you wouldn’t believe. Or maybe you would. I boiled the corn meal into a mush first, then added to the malt and mashed. I’d have thought it would mostly break down but apparently the germ and/or ground waxy seed coat is quite an effective glue-like material. I’ve had better luck with cracked corn, and of course flaked corn is probably the easiest way to go.

The title reminded me of The Crying Game.

Lol

I knew I could count on a select few to see the humor 8)

If the flavor of the corn comes through on this batch as I hope, I wouldn’t be deterred to use grits again, it wasn’t that much of a problem. Just never came across that before. I would however try flaked just to see if there’s a flavor differentiation.

[quote=“The Professor”]hmmm…that’s curious.
I’ve occasionally used grits (instant or quick, depending upon what’s on hand) in quantities of 1 or even 2 lbs and haven’t ever had them clump or clog the false bottom of the mash vessel. How are you adding the grits to your mash? Any clumps that might form should be broken up when you’re stirring and breaking up clumps in the malt that sometimes can form.[/quote]

I too, have used several pounds of quick grits in the mash before with no issues. I’m using a stainless braid in my cooler. I also dump the grits in with the grain during milling just so everything is in one bucket when I add it to the MT.

just make sure and pay attention to the hop sack while you are going down on your false bottom. They always get neglected…

I had the same thing happen to me with my Smashing pumpkin. I got the bright idea to puree the before adding it to the mash. After the 60 minute mash at 152 it kind of congealed in a layer above the grains. What a pain in the arse. I hope I didn’t screw it up too bad, after conditioning it should be ready about All Hallows Eve.