Well water

Hello all i’m new to the beer brewing world but have distilled before so i am familiar with some processes. I recently ordered the NB creame ale and have been working on getting my P’s and Q’s in order. and have a couple questions.

1.I am worried about rinsing with my untreaded water and would a 1tbls of bleach to gal be suffiient enough to ward off infection?

1. kinda confused about primary and secondary fermentingand what to use?

I have been reading Palmer and alot here, also i plan to purchase RO water to brew with as many have suggested.

Thanks in advance for your repilies and looking forward to getting to know you all

1. Don’t use bleach, just a little residual gets in your beer and the beer tastes like bandaids. Better to get some Starsan or OneStep no-rinse sanitizers.

2. I’m in the camp that recommends no secondary. You just get a bucket and primary in that for two or three weeks, then rack to your bottling bucket for bottling. Ales don’t tend to need secondary and any yeat carried over is going to settle in the bottom of the bottle anyway. Theres always some yeast in there anyway so it doesn’t change much.

If you use RO water, be sure and add some calcium chloride salt (1tsp for 5gal) to it so you have some calcium for the right pH.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]1. Don’t use bleach, just a little residual gets in your beer and the beer tastes like bandaids. Better to get some Starsan or OneStep no-rinse sanitizers.

1. I’m in the camp that recommends no secondary. You just get a bucket and primary in that for two or three weeks, then rack to your bottling bucket for bottling. Ales don’t tend to need secondary and any yeat carried over is going to settle in the bottom of the bottle anyway. Theres always some yeast in there anyway so it doesn’t change much.

If you use RO water, be sure and add some calcium chloride salt (1tsp for 5gal) to it so you have some calcium for the right pH.[/quote]

+1 Good advice.

ok thanks for the replies, ordering some now