Weld on side of keg

I purchased 4 used kegs and one of them had a weld in the side of it. Is it safe to assume this is food safe or should I contact the company? Or is this one of the hazards in buying used kegs?

What do you mean? As in, it has a seam running on the keg, or it has a spot weld that was used to plug up a hole?

Cheers.

Spot weld to plug a hole. It is not on a seam.

How does it look? Is it flat with no noticeable pits, slag, or sugaring? How much discoloration is there around it?

… if it’s flat and pretty inside and out, and just a small spot of discoloration, I wouldn’t care. Slag and sugaring = hard to clean chemically or mechanically = more likely to harbor nasties.

Cheers.

Not smooth at all on the inside. It is a raised lump, I ran my finger over it and felt the grooves. I emailed the vendor to try and get a replacement. Hope it works!

I was cleaning some new kegs last night and I noticed that I had a repair weld in one of mine as well. Where did you buy your keg?

If you have a optical fiber scope, I would take a peek at the weld. If it’s just ripples, I wouldn’t worry about it. If it is all sugared up / looks like bubbles and crust / big holes or wave-like curls, then I’d complain to the vendor.

Cheers.

If you have a optical fiber scope, I would take a peek at the weld. If it’s just ripples, I wouldn’t worry about it. If it is all sugared up / looks like bubbles and crust / big holes or wave-like curls, then I’d complain to the vendor.

Cheers.[/quote]

If ya’ don’t have access to a fiber optic scope, get a make up mirror, ( like a “compact” size), and tape it on a stick, stick it down in the keg, and use a strong flashlight to inspect it.