Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Weizenbock Questions

Brewed a Roggenbier last Monday, primarily as a starter for a 1/2 bbl (around 14 gallon) batch of weizenbock.

We aren’t brewing the weizenbock until October 13th or so. I am not overly concerned about leaving the roggenbier on the yeast until that week, but was a little concerned about viability if I am leaving the roggen at around 70*. Would it be better to rack once I am satisfied with the ferment of the roggen and keep in a sanitized container in the fridge?

Also, if we are going to ferment the weizenbock @ 61-62*, would you consider this a ‘hybrid’ for purposes of yeastcalc/mrmalty?

I think either way will give you plenty of viable yeast. And I wouldn’t call a 62F ferment a hybrid.

Agreed. A hybrid, to me, would be more in the mid to upper 50’s range. You’ll be fine leaving it at 70.

So I basically need an ale-sized pitch from this liter-sized cake I’ve grown up in the roggenbier.

Anyone want to pick up some weizen yeast?

I’d pitch generously, I always figure theres some trub in the cake. Seems like my big wheat beers always have plenty of spice and banana.

I find it difficult to get the banana in super high gravity weizenbocks. Even fermented at 68. My next hefe will be fermented at 62, for kicks.

I find it difficult to get the banana in super high gravity weizenbocks. Even fermented at 68. My next hefe will be fermented at 62, for kicks.[/quote]

I’m not going for anything unreasonable gravity-wise here, probably around a 1.075-1.080. When growing up yeast for a batch on the big system, I will typically employ the decant-and-pitch method, so we will have a pretty healthy slug of mostly yeast.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com