Weird Recipe?

I just wanted to get some thoughts. I’ll explain why its weird in a moment.

9 lbs of Maris Otter Pale malt
.5 lbs Crystal 60
0.25 lbs Briess Special Roast
0.5 lbs Flaked Oats
0.25 lbs Flaked Wheat
0.5 lbs Chocolate malt

.5 oz Kent Goldings at 60
.5 oz Progress at 60

This is where things get different. The yeast was going to be American ale yeast, but I didnt double check thte package and grabbed american lager yeast. So lazy me went with it. I made a huge starter and prepared to make this thing like a weird lager. Fermented at 48-50 for a month. D-rest at 60 for 3 days. Now its lagering.

Anybody have any opinion on this? Im wondering about the effect of the oats. Could this turn out kinda good? Awful? I just dont know what to expect. Its my first time using a lager yeast.

[quote=“Adam20”]I just wanted to get some thoughts. I’ll explain why its weird in a moment.

9 lbs of Maris Otter Pale malt
.5 lbs Crystal 60
0.25 lbs Briess Special Roast
0.5 lbs Flaked Oats
0.25 lbs Flaked Wheat
0.5 lbs Chocolate malt

.5 oz Kent Goldings at 60
.5 oz Progress at 60

This is where things get different. The yeast was going to be American ale yeast, but I didnt double check thte package and grabbed american lager yeast. So lazy me went with it. I made a huge starter and prepared to make this thing like a weird lager. Fermented at 48-50 for a month. D-rest at 60 for 3 days. Now its lagering.

Anybody have any opinion on this? Im wondering about the effect of the oats. Could this turn out kinda good? Awful? I just dont know what to expect. Its my first time using a lager yeast.[/quote]

I predict that this will become one of your favorite beers. :idea:
I think it will turn out okay, maybe better.

Give it plenty of lager time . . . . .Maybe a less hoppy boston lager type beer? I agree with above - In the words of Bob Ross (the public television painter) - “Just a happy accident.”

Oh yeah - on the oats. . . . I use .25-.5 of oats in almost EVERY single beer I brew, regardless of style. I like my beer to have mouthfeel and body. I think the oats give beer the feel I love.

In the words of Bob Ross (the public television painter) - “Just a happy accident.”

So should I call this beer my “Happy Tree Lager”? or “Happy Accident Lager”?

Thanks guys. I hope it does turn out well. It’ll be the first beer Ive used a lager yeast on, and tried really hard to keep at the right temp. Luckily my garage stays around 40F