Weird colored NEIPA

I’ve never seen it either. @squeegeethree QUIT HOGGING THE THREAD!

2 Likes

Daaaaang!!:joy::joy: Bad bottling mojo​:joy::joy:

2 Likes

Oxygen for sure. Me had one brew last year as and i do keg my brews. Did transfer real slow. As well. Taste wise. It was not good either. So went down the drain

So I poured my NEIPA over the weekend for some guests at the lodge where we work. Tasted pretty good, not oxidized at all. Not very hazy, but that wasn’t a huge concern of mine anyways. Would have been nice, but tasted fine. It was my first time using an auto siphon, and I def oxidized a few bottles due to learning curve on my APA. Had it down pretty good by the time I bottled NEIPA.

3 Likes

A well deserved brew! and more to come?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Unfortunately halting brewing for now until August or September. I won’t have enough of a consistent schedule to set aside a day to bottle. On a semi related topic, can too high of a bottle conditioning temp oxidize your brew? Tasting some off flavors in my APA. It’s only been in bottle for just over two weeks, so maybe I’m just getting ahead of myself on imbibing. Still drinking it tho, of course

1 Like

Warm temperatures, within reason are encouraged during bottle conditioning. Up to probably the high 70s.
Much more of a problem usually is too high of a fermentation temperature. I would ferment an APA for the first several days usually around 62°.

1 Like

Dang. Mine was in the 80F range for about 5 days I think. Should have moved it down to the basement sooner. The NEIPA seems none the worse for wear, surprisingly to me. They both fermented at a fairly consistent 68-72F

Hi all, new to this form - happy to be here. I run company that sells 1 ( and as soon as later today 5) gallon all grain and extract kits and I have been experimenting A TON with NEIPA oxidation.

I have tried following the standard 3 lbs/bbl hop rate and have gone down to fractions of that amount - all to see how it impacts oxidation. In all ranges, but especially the high end of dry hopping, I have found that single batches of bottle conditioned, all grain NEIPA can have both oxidized and totally unoxidized beers.

Through months of trial and error, I have a theory. I believe that the best way to avoid oxidation in this style aside from the normal precautions is to leave very minimal head space in bottles. I have found that beers that have only about a quarter inch of headspace (still enough to build carbonation), have had the lowest rates of oxidation.

@hd4mark, I like your descriptor of “racking quietly”, this is another big factor in my opinion.

2 Likes

“Capping on Foam” is another way to reduced headspace but still have headspace. Welcome to the forum @satchelkits

1 Like

Thanks!

Went through my whole batch with no issues, primarily thanks to the advice in this forum I think. Was very happy with the results.

5 Likes