Weird colored NEIPA

Just curious did you add the extract late and stir stir? Im sure its fine and to early to worry about oxidatioin but the longer the extract boils the darker it gets I’ve heard

1 Like

I added half at boiling and the other half with about 15 mins left I think. Stuck to the schedule, tho it did seem dark for extra light extract.

1 Like

Just an aside. Since it sounds like you did a partial mash of 45 minutes probably easy to do a full mash

1 Like

I think that is my next step forward depending on how these last two batches turn out. I would like to move to all grain but wanted to test my skills first with some extract brewing.

1 Like

Last question guys, I promise. At least for a little while😂 I have both 12 oz and bombers for bottling. To lower my oxidation risk my inclination is to use as many 12 oz until I run out, then bombers. It takes longer to condition a 22 oz than a 12, correct?

Never thought about it. The bombers are less work

1 Like

That’s kind of why I bought them. Less work less mess. I know I’m not going to drink just one homebrew.

Nope. Takes the same amount of time.

2 Likes

Ok cool! That’s great news, thanks!

Thank you Loopie… I was inclined to think that too… Conditions… just need to provide what little yeast left, the time to mature the brew…
Always remember… the yeast do their business on their time… not yers…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks guys. I always pop one about a week in to see where it is. Patience is the key here it seems​:+1::beers:

I start drinking my NEIPAs the next day. Don’t be afraid to enjoy a slightly sweet uncarbonated version of the final thing. Take that premature beer and really smell/savoir the dry hops because that will be their peak.

Ok! I never thought about doing that, I like it. Learning a lot here

While my NEIPAs are bottle conditioning I put one bottle in the fridge before work to have when I get back.
All IPAs are best fresh, wheat beers as well. IMO there’s no point to hoarding them.

2 Likes

My bottling schedule is working out well as I will have an APA ready to bottle that same day. Pretty excited to see how these turn out

Bottling 4 cases doesn’t sound very exciting to me. You will get tired of that soon enough and start eyeing keg set ups.

2 Likes

Honestly not to me either, but I figured I should get it all done at once. I would love a kegging setup but I move every six months or so. Might be easier than moving with empty bottles tho

I wouldn’t save bottles and move them wherever you go… I’d think you could find them at yer next stop easy enough… If you were close enough, I’d give you a bottling tree… Where you put the bottles on to drain after wash/sanitizing…
Sneezles61

haha, I’m one of the few bottlers here.so don’t listen to these keggers My small NYC apartment is the main reason I bottle but I’m very fast at this point and my kids join in every now and again. I like to collect a wide variety of bottles and I’m constantly hopeful of finding a new bottle type.
Bench Top Capper is the way to go. Rather than adjust the height for different bottles dimensions I have a steel cup put under the bottles, upside down, to quickly make up the difference for short bottles.

1 Like

Cool I’ve never seen that type of capper, just been using the one that came with my kit. My wife is chief capper, and I’ve made a couple of decent sized messes when bottling. Just bought an auto siphon to help me bottle these next two batches. I will have to look into picking up one of those cappers. Sounds efficient.