Weird colored NEIPA

I’m pretyy impressed that, as a noob, you revived an appropriate thread to ask your question. Gold Star :grin:

1 Like

:joy::joy:I figured the best way to get an answer was to piggyback on an established thread instead of starting a new one…as a noob​:joy::joy:

It’s honestly the most fun I’ve had in a while. Similar to cooking but thankfully not cooking. Thanks, good to be here!

2 Likes

Welcome! I agree with everything above and want to emphasize no secondary. I would add that since you’re bottling, I think your oxidation risk is much lower since your going to get some yeast activity. You still need to be ultra careful moving your beer and during bottling though. The devil is in the details but just plan it and follow your process you’ll be fine. RDWHAHB! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks! Such a welcoming place, I love it! Just checked the FG today after 6 days, on target at 1.010 and 5.6%. My plan is to let the yeast clean up for another 10 days, then dry hop for 48 hours, then bottle. My kit came with 1 oz chinook and 2 oz Idaho for DH. I’ve been reading up on soft crash (like 58 degrees) to drop some solids out. Would that make sense in this case? Also convenient to bottle it that day because I will have an APA ready to bottle that same day.

Ha! Just looked up rdwhahb!! Will do😎

Interesting the color change of just a few minutes between hydrometer reading and glass. I know it’s not ready yet but I think that’s just poor lighting on the glass.

1 Like

NEIPAs are hazy. The haze is due to the dry hopping. You don’t want to cold crash that out. The only benefit to cold crashing is clarity, which you can also get with time in the bottle and a careful pour.

1 Like

Thanks! I like the haze, was pretty happy it was actually a little hazy after just a week. I was really more concerned about the color difference between the fg sample and then the same sample poured into a glass 5 mins later. I definitely won’t crash it. What do you think about my bottling/dh sched? Thanks for all your help and informed opinion, it’s really helpful to me. I will chill out now​:joy::joy::beers:

The only real way to tell if it’s done fermenting is to test again in 3 days. If the gravity is exactly the same and not lower you are safe to bottle? Was this a small batch or 5 gallons?

1 Like

This was a 5 gallon batch. I will definitely test again in 3 days. Is it better to bottle NEIPA sooner rather than later? If the fg is still the same in 3 days should I dh and then bottle in a few days?

That is what I’m doing right now with my NEIPA. 11 days until FG then DH for 3 days. Then bottled

1 Like

I’d say, the light reflection is different in the tall, skinny tube compared to the short, spread out container…
Perhaps when its “of age” you’ll post a picture on the “what are you drinking now” post?
Sneezles61

1 Like

It does look dark. Hopefully that is lighting. Did you use any dark malt?

1 Like

Hopefully it will be ok…a bit brown in the photo. My first NEIPA was beginners luck, tasted like grapefruit juice and was unlike anything I had had before(more like the second generation NEIPAs like Trillium and Treehouse than the “old guard” ones I had had…Lawson’s and Heady Topper).
My second and third bottled NEIPA attempts had bigger grainbills and more hops and came out with a quick tendency to oxidize…I stopped brewing them after that until I had a kegging setup.

1 Like

Awesome I will stick with the plan, then. Thanks for all your help!!

Will do! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!! Thanks for all your help.

1 Like

It was flaked oats and pale malt to steep at 148-152 for 45 mins, then light malt extract in the boil. The steeping temp was difficult to maintain as it called for 14 oz grains in like 21 oz water or something.

I hope it turns out. Lawsons was the first one I had and loved it. Don’t think I’ve had Trillium or Treehouse yet. The fg sample tasted ok, I guess will just have to wait and see where it goes. Most likely won’t attempt this one again until I have a kegging setup, even if it turns out fine. Seems a much safer bet with co2 involved. Thanks for all your help!!

I have faith, you’ll produce beer.
Sneezles61

3 Likes