Wee Heavy

So, just to be clear,with a Wee Heavy, the boil-down is to add color without roasty flavor, right?
and the mash temps/times are what bring out extra sugars, high gravity…long ferm time, right temps and yeasties = awesome beer, high ABV. Got it.

Cheers!

[quote=“The Mad Zymurgist”]So, just to be clear,with a Wee Heavy, the boil-down is to add color without roasty flavor, right?
and the mash temps/times are what bring out extra sugars, high gravity…long ferm time, right temps and yeasties = awesome beer, high ABV. Got it.

Cheers![/quote]

The boildown also adds a LOT of sweet malty flavor to the beer, not just color. Other than that, you;ve got it!

Mad Zymurgist et al:

I only post to say that I would love to see a separate thread on your bacon experiment.

IMHO it must be an amberish or darker beer or else the bacon will be too much. (Also, it should be the color of bacon or darker, but not lighter b/c the mind loses the idea of bacon and it seems weird)

Possibly oaked. Can’t be over hopped.

This should be done. :slight_smile:

:cheers:

I have to agree, and if I had the capacity to do so, I would most certainly oak this experiment. My intention is to brew a brown, moderately thick bodied, probably dry hop it in the secondary. I think the “piney” flavor and the bacon will go together well, and remind the consumer of good maple syrup (without having to use maple, which ferments out too easily). The bacon syrup I found should not have the problem of fermenting out and losing its flavor, and I don’t believe I’ll go the “smoked” route, at least not the first try. I have read up on other forums about people who tried that with poor results. As soon as I try this recipe, I will most certainly begin a thread with updates throughout the process. It would be good to get some input along the way, if I remember to ask before jumping ahead.
Thanks for the encouragement!