Ways to clear beer?

Since my awesome first kegging experience, I want to experiment with beer clearity now. I wanted to get everyones’ tricks they use to clear thier beer. I know some don’t worry too much about clearity, but just thought it would be fun to try to new things. I actually have some canister filters from an old RO setup that I was thinking of utilizing. I have seen a lot of people online use these to filter their beer between two corney kegs. Let me know what tips and tricks you all use. Thanks a lot!

My canister filter is good about getting hop particles and such out of the beer but in terms of clarity, chill haze is not solved by the inline filter. Conditioning your kegs will clear out your beer pretty well but if you want to do it quick, go with gelatin. Mix per instructions and add to your keg. Give it 24 hours after it is cold and then dispense a pint. First pint will be sludge, second pint will be cloudy and the third should be pristine.

Good to know. How does the gelatin perform without canister filtration?

I tend not to use the filter unless I can see particulates in the beer (dry hopping). The gelatin should settle out the sludge on its own.

I have never used gelatin for mine. It goes against Reinheitsgebot (German Purity Law of 1516). If your water is right and your brewing practices are right, then your beer should sparkle.

never use anything but whirlfloc in the boil and let it sit cold in the fridge and there crystal clear

I put some stuff on THIS

page, close to the bottom. When you see the glass of clear Kolsch, you’re there. Lots of things to consider: Recipe formulation, mash pH, water composition, a good strong boil, Whirfloc in the boil, a good, quick chill, allowing the wort to settle and then racking from brewpot to primary and leaving most of the slop behind, allowing the beer to fully ferment and the yeast to drop before transferring it, a gel solution in the secondary or keg, cold conditioning, etc. If you go to GALLERIES on my site, there are pics of CLEAR BEER but they don’t ALL come out that way. Cheers.

I’m with MullerBrau on not adding it. If I can’t clear it by conditioning and it’s a competition brew that is light in color I use gelatin as a fallback. I don’t much concern myself with the chillhaze on stuff for drinking at home.

What does the Whirfloc exactly do?

It helps break material in the brewpot (and also in the primary) to flock together and drop to the bottom of the brewpot. You end up with a bunch of clear wort on top and a layer of sludge on the floor of your BK so you can transfer to primary.

I always use Whirlfloc. Two tablets per 20 gallons for the last 5 minutes of the boil.

It goes against Reinheitsgebot (German Purity Law of 1516).

It goes against Reinheitsgebot (German Purity Law of 1516).[/quote]Dayam, you got me there but I would rather use it than gelatin.

It goes against Reinheitsgebot (German Purity Law of 1516).[/quote]Dayam, you got me there but I would rather use it than gelatin.[/quote]

:cheers: