Water test

+1

It’s a good place to start if you’re not experienced enough to just know what to do. It helped me quite a bit since I really didn’t have any clue where to start.

And I don’t know if you’re reading the bottom, but I see he posted guidelines on what to do (how to deviate from the baseline) for a few different styles, not just lighter beers. Maybe the post has been edited and originally it only had the baseline in there, as I haven’t been brewing for that long maybe I missed that.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Templar”]If you’re going to use RO or distilled, use this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewin ... er-198460/

I’ve had success using this primer up until I got a water test and noticed how lucky I am.[/quote]

The problem with that advice is that AJ brews nothing but American light lagers. If you’re brewing one of those, it’s good advice. Otherwise, you might want to think for yourself.[/quote]

I agree. And I also see its a “primer” and understand that as well and certainly don’t want to take anything away from A.J. With that said, look at the date of the post, 2010. Since, we have come a long way, namely with BRU’N Water which makes water additions both easy and reliable. We are no longer just adding a tsp of chalk and a TBSP of CaCl2. Working with BRU’N Water is easy enough especially when working with RO as the starting profile is all zero. When you have your own RO system, maintenance isn’t questioned because you maintain the system.

The primer opened my eyes, starting me on the path to better beer. The water additions calculator on Brewer’s Friend and a gram scale accurate to 0.01 g allows me to determine what needs to be added based on the style of beer I’m brewing and to precisely measure my additions…

[quote=“Denny”]

The problem with that advice is that AJ brews nothing but American light lagers. If you’re brewing one of those, it’s good advice. [/quote]

Oh come on! AJ only brews EUROPEAN light lagers. Get your story straight!

Unfortunately, Denny is correct. AJ views all brewing through the green glass of european lager brewing. Its not very applicable to those who brew other styles.

Thanks for all the advIce. I spent a fair amount of time on bru’n water yesterday and feel I have a pretty good grasp on making whatever water fits my brew I’m making. Defiantly appreciate all the feed back.