Water Report

I just received my water report(W-6) from Ward Labs(North Liberty, IA). I’ll look at Bru’N water a little closer when I get home, but know nothing about water chemistry and was looking for a little input. I think some of this info is irrelevant, but included everything. Compared to some of the sample water profiles, some of these seemed quite a bit high/low (calcium, sodium, bicarbonate, alkalinity in particular)

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids, Est ppm 882
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 1.47
Cations/Anions, me/L 15.3/15.8
Sodium, Na 276
Potassium, K 7
Calcium, Ca 35
Magnesium, Mg 17
Total Hardness, CaCO3 158
Nitrate, NO3-N 1.1
Sulfate, SO4-S 154
Chloride, Cl 30
Carbonate, CO3 <1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 323
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 264

Thank you! :cheers:

Wow! That is not going to be a great water for brewing. The sodium is sky high and should be notable as a salty taste. The sulfate is also sky high. The combination of sodium and sulfate should make for a unwelcome dog-fight in your glass.

Time for RO.

I was thinking the same thing. He might be able to make a good gose with it, maybe. Or a salty IPA, maybe. That water is so full of solids, is it even liquid anymore?

hmm, I thought I replied, not there anymore…anyways…

yep, someone from my homebrew club said the same thing. IPAs are one style that I couldnt get right with this water, muted hop profile and no ‘bite’. Darker brews and saisons have turned out well though. Definitely going RO